S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

CX Racing Intercooler Review?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donromani
Ok, I read through that and there is one guy there who is adamant that the cores are crap but the vast majority of the posts say something like:

Good deal for the money, not as good as ER, etc.

As usual for AZ there's a bunch of **** talking and very little data to back up the claims either way. Here's what I know: I ran cxracing SMIC for a year on a stage 2 car with no problems.

If you know you're going stage3 and you just need an intermediate solution that is better than stock then cxracing is perfect. If you know you want to have ER at some point you might as well go with ER right off the bat. It depends on what your ultimate goal is. Intercoolers are not rocket science.
Some guy would be me. I even posted graphs comparing them to OEM S4/Allroad/A6 SMICs.

I will sell you my CX Racing SMICs for $100 less than ebay charges. I even stripped most of the silver paint they dip the cores in to improve looks! I just can't get all the paint as soaking for a week in solvent would still not get everything dissolved between plates and fins.

I am sure though that they used a paint that conducts heat much better than aluminum.

Yes, they PAINTED the cores with silver paint so they look better. You still think they are so great?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

um...no, I think they are cheap and as good or better upgrades than the RS4 ones. If you want tip top performance then stay away from ebay stuff altogether but the cxracing is more than sufficient for a stage 2, in my humble opinion.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

um...no, I think they are cheap and as good or better upgrades than the RS4 ones. If you want tip top performance then stay away from ebay stuff altogether but the cxracing is more than sufficient for a stage 2, in my humble opinion.
no...not better than rs4 or s4. They are worse.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Data data data

Good deal for the money, not as good as ER, etc.

As usual for AZ there's a bunch of **** talking and very little data to back up the claims either way.
I have attached a pdf of the data from my SMIC tests.
=
Just look at the intake temp rise on the IC. Insane!

I agree. I am running an Apikol SMIC that is supposed to be stage 2 as well as tested and it's crap. My shop in Denver (Autobahn) ran full tests on the IC and it does not disspate the heat after the first pool. Now the guys in the shop also race in local series and have proven the Evo comp FMIC is the best IC out there for all scenarios. They have tested all others. I am waiting to see what Apikol has to say in regards to the test.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ApikolSMIC-01-116-115-118.pdf (818.9 KB, 186 views)
Old 09-15-2011, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hope this helps.
I did a little research for my allroad and this is the math I came up with:

360 CI's for ER's massive IC's at $1300 on ER's Website
254 CI's in AWE IC's at $1300 on AWE's Website
210 CI's in CXR IC's at $540 on CXR's Website
162 CI's in RS4 IC's at $932 on ECS Tuning
154 CI's in Stock IC's at... (contact your dealer)

^^^ Per Individual Intercooler ^^^

$1300/720ci (Both IC's)= $1.80 dollars for every CI for ER
$540/420ci (Both IC's)= $1.285 dollars for every CI for CXR
Conclusion: CXR gives you more bang for you buck than ER.

These are just rough number crunching and should be doubled due to having TWO Side Mount Intercoolers since the numbers are only done for one intercooler.

CI=Cubic Inches
Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's hard to argue with Julex's numbers (the graphs are still up at AZ) but it's still hard to understand what went wrong with the design of the CXracing SMIC.

Ultimately, what primarily contributes to the effectiveness of the intercooler (theoretically) is the total exposed core area and the CXracing SMIC does increase that over stock. Obviously, other factors, like the amount of air flowing over the IC, is critically important too.

The verdict seems to be to skip the half-assed upgrades like the cxracing and rs4 ICs and save up for something more serious.