S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Cylinder 1 misfire, mechinic in Boston?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder 1 misfire, mechinic in Boston?

2000 S4 started running really rough a week ago. I stopped driving it and ordered a vag com. Got P0300 multiple cylinder misfire and P0301 cylinder 1 misfire. I replaced the cylinder 1 spark plug and swapped the coil pack from another cylinder (the coil pack was torn a little bit) hoping that once I cleared the codes the misfire would switch to the other cylinder now with the bad coil pack from cylinder 1. No luck as I got the same 2 codes. I guess it's time to bring it to a mechinic. Any one know a good one in or north of Boston? Any one have just these 2 codes? I STFA and found a ton of similar issues but no one with just these 2 codes.
Thanks,
Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How are the O2 sensor voltages?
Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

8.4 and 8.9
Old 10-11-2013, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

O2 voltages with the car running should be bouncing back and forth between about .1 and .9 volts. If they're steady then there's a problem with them.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ahaiceman
.... Any one know a good one in or north of Boston? Any one have just these 2 codes? I STFA and found a ton of similar issues but no one with just these 2 codes.
Thanks,
Hey

Have you swapped the ICM wiring yet? On the airbox

I have some places listed in MA on VAGLinks.com. http://www.vaglinks.com/#Speedshops

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 10-12-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your help so far. Good news. I swapped the 2 sets of wires going into the icms and the mis fire went from cylinder 1 to 4. Do you think I need a new icm or new wiring? Any way to test this? If I do 1 should I just do both. Also there was some white smoke coming up that looked like burning oil that was coming from the side of cylinder 1

Thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Instead of starting a new thread with the most recent update just keep this thread going so that the history of what you've done can be scanned over. I'm not going to bounce between two threads trying to piece together what steps you've taken along the way.

I asked about the O2 voltages, your answer is indicative of either a bad O2 sensor or you didn't measure the correct data block. You're going to want the bank 1 & 2 primary O2 sensor voltages while the car is running.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had started a new thread as i now have a no start issue and after looking through 100s of posts i could only find 1 issue like it but it was old and not very helpful. When I switched the wires to the ICMs the misfire switched from cylinder 1 to 4 so wouldn't that mean the ICM is bad? I just don't know why the engine won't start now. I measured th O2 sensors with the car on (without the engine running as I can't start it now). The green is showing 1.79 and the brown is showing 1.81. Neither are moving. After I cleared the misfire code and swapped the ICM when i tried starting the car i was getting a fast clicking sound which seemed like the starter. Just now after measuring the O2 sensors I tried starting it again and I got a few clicks and then nothing. Scanned for new codes and got 00532 - Supply Voltage. Thank you,
Old 10-18-2013, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How's the battery voltage?

If the misfire followed the ICM switching I'd conclude that the ICM is probably bad.

When I refer to checking the O2 voltage I'm talking about in VCDS when the engine is running. I understand getting it running is now an issue as well.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

It was strong throughout all the testing until yesterday. Now it is at 8 or maybe lower as that is where it starts. All the interior lights and headlights are strong and no issues. It seems like everything I do makes it worse.

Quick Reply: Cylinder 1 misfire, mechinic in Boston?