S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

DDM 55w HID - passenger won't always fire up.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DDM 55w HID - passenger won't always fire up.

I'm having some issues with my passenger side DDM 55w HID light. Once in a while it wouldn't fire up, then that problem got worse to the point where it would only fire up once in a while. I thought it was a bad ballast and just finished installing the new one from DDM.

I'm still having the same problem, initially after I installed the new ballast I could get the passenger side to turn on after flciking it ON/OFF many times, but that was very intermitten. I then took the bulb out and then re-connected the bulb and I cannot get the passenger side to turn on at all, no matter how many times I flick it ON/OFF.

I can hear the passenger side making a 'buzzing' sound when the headlights are turned on, this would indicate to me the ballast are turning on but I'm a bit stuck here. What do you guys think this is causing the problem? I'm starting to lean towards a bad bulb but I was wondering what you guys thought?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Try switching the bulbs from one side to the other, it's a quick job and will tell you for sure whether or not it's the bulb. Regardless of whether or not it is the bulb, I would recommend you add relays to your harnesses, that should fix your previous issue of the bulb occasionally failing to light. There are several write ups on this all over the web. If you search HID relay you should find pleanty of diagrams, it's a pretty simple and cheap task, maybe $25-$30.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by _muppet_
Try switching the bulbs from one side to the other, it's a quick job and will tell you for sure whether or not it's the bulb. Regardless of whether or not it is the bulb, I would recommend you add relays to your harnesses, that should fix your previous issue of the bulb occasionally failing to light. There are several write ups on this all over the web. If you search HID relay you should find pleanty of diagrams, it's a pretty simple and cheap task, maybe $25-$30.
I bought some new bulbs, I'll test those out when they arrive. It would be weird if I needed the harness all of a sudden though, I used this setup for 2 years without this problem and haven't added any electrical components.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a similar problem with an A8L. after replacing the ballast we figured out it was the bulb going bad. ....................Good Luck