S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Did I get screwed on my RS4 cluster? :( also need coding help kinda..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I get screwed on my RS4 cluster? :( also need coding help kinda..

Hey guys, after a long wait I was really happy to receive my RS4 cluster from Germany.

Everything was fine at first until I decided to turn on the cars lights, and to my surprise the cluster lights up like my original S4 cluster?!?

It's supposed to be white dials with red needles as far as I know... anyone have info on this? I have a bad feeling that this cluster has regular S4 guts inside

Can anyone help me with this?

Also, does anyone know how to code the cluster so the Immo. light doesn't blink anymore? Other then that the cluster works perfectly fine.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't know the answer to you question, but maybe you can help me with mine: I've been looking for a replacement instrument cluster for my S4, it doesn't have to be the RS4 cluster even. Where can I order these online? Google turns up nothing..
Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

^^^ My S4 cluster will be up for sale shortly as soon as I get this all figured out with my Rs4 cluster.

It lowish miles (approx 72k) and is a US cluster (MPH)... If you wanna hang on for a few days till I get this sorted.

No dead pixels either, just the top 1/3 sometimes fades to about 80% on certain lines. But most of the time it displays 100%.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmmm... after some searching it seems that maybe they changed the cluster lighting through the years?

here's an unrelated RS$ cluster pic that isn't mine...

Not mine (but same colour):

Old 04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting. They could've swapped internals but I find this unlikely and then the speedometer would be off since the S4 speedometer (even in km/h) didn't go that high.

I bet it's a color change since I've seen German clusters with white needles and red needles. I've never seen them lit up until your post. BTW, I have a UK RS4 cluster with red needles and white background.

I've read that you can recode the cluster to get rid of the immobilizer, but I don't know how it's done. Most people just open up the cluster, and put a piece of black electrical tape over the LED. That's what I did and you don't even need to take off the needles (which is a pain to get back in the right place). Really easy to do this. Go to stratmosphere.com for a pdf on how to open your cluster.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i like the S4 white needles on red.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 180 Posts
Default PM sent...

Curious to see if you know the part number of the cluster you installed.

All units from Audi are now rebuilt, so just curious if you got a rebuilt or new unit plus what the suffix is on the part number.

Cheers,

Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure if it's a rebuild or not... part number is: 8D0 920 931 S

It has been opened though, the seal is broken.. Not sure if that was to reset the odometer or not though.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 180 Posts
Default The proper part number was dropped so long ago...

it won't come up in the history. However that appears to be a proper EU market original part number. Someone must have had that on a shelf for a long time as I see even a number after the original dropped in 2003. Any units I've seen or sold have always come as you thought yours would. Going to ask around and see if folks in Europe know more about this.

Cheers,

Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

sascha - thanks for the offer but I'm willing to splurge on a brand new unit with the updated screen. Btw, I think the one you got above looks great - I prefer the red back lighting myself, better for night driving, eh?

Alex - Does europrice stock replacement instrument clusters?

Quick Reply: Did I get screwed on my RS4 cluster? :( also need coding help kinda..