S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Dilema-fix myself, dealer, or bail

Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 AM
RR
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilema-fix myself, dealer, or bail

My S4 almost made it to its 10 year birthday ....but I think my RS4 clutch bit the dust. Saturday, I shifted from first and was pretty well locked into neutral. I finally got it in first and limped home a mile. The clutch still feels the same, but it doesn't disengage the gears completely. Engine wants to stall if it's braked to a stop....and there's a bit of clutch odor.
From the archives, it looks like a finger on the clutch pressure plate has broken off. And it looks like the engine needs to be pulled for the fix.

I'm guessing 4K at the dealer to replace the clutch and do all the odds and ends that need to happen with the engine out. Timing belt, water pump, (it's been 60K),thermostat, all the hoses, etc. That's option 1

Option 2 is to do it myself. I've never tacked a job of that size, but I have a workshop and I can spend a month or two if need be.

Option 3 is to bail out. The Golf TDI appeals to me. I suspect someone might pay me 3-4K for the S4 (SSR comps, K04s, two A-box ECUs with one chipped, downpipes, Stoptech brakes, etc.

Any advice?

RR
Old 12-23-2009, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RR
My S4 almost made it to its 10 year birthday ....but I think my RS4 clutch bit the dust. Saturday, I shifted from first and was pretty well locked into neutral. I finally got it in first and limped home a mile. The clutch still feels the same, but it doesn't disengage the gears completely. Engine wants to stall if it's braked to a stop....and there's a bit of clutch odor.
From the archives, it looks like a finger on the clutch pressure plate has broken off. And it looks like the engine needs to be pulled for the fix.

I'm guessing 4K at the dealer to replace the clutch and do all the odds and ends that need to happen with the engine out. Timing belt, water pump, (it's been 60K),thermostat, all the hoses, etc. That's option 1

Option 2 is to do it myself. I've never tacked a job of that size, but I have a workshop and I can spend a month or two if need be.

Option 3 is to bail out. The Golf TDI appeals to me. I suspect someone might pay me 3-4K for the S4 (SSR comps, K04s, two A-box ECUs with one chipped, downpipes, Stoptech brakes, etc.

Any advice?

RR
Try doing it yourself. Give yourself plenty of time and consider doing any other upgrades (mounts and so on) while you have it out. If you spend a few hours a day on it you can have it in/out in a week + a weekend.

It can be done without pulling the engine, but I would not attempt it without a lift.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bail Out, I'll bring 3.5K and pick it up! I have an Avant Tip thats a stage 2+. I am itching to build a 6mt into a beast.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your call on the money side of things, but the first major thing I did was an engine pull to change my clutch and to do a timing belt. All in all, it wasn't too bad. I'd do it again if need be.

I was able to do it fairly well with 4 jackstands and engine crane. All total, it took me about 40 - 50 hrs including a few trips to AW to get info. Defintely, pull the trans and engine as a unit.

Or of course, get 3.5k and go to the golf.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by shawnoc2003
Or of course, get 3.5k and go to the golf.
Added bonus, I'll post video of my wife kicking my *** for bringing another car (especially another S4) home

Last edited by 28cmod; 12-23-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RR

Any advice?

RR
If you're really really going to let it go for that I would probably take it. Where are you located?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Afterthought
If you're really really going to let it go for that I would probably take it. Where are you located?
If 28cmod doesn't of course
Old 12-24-2009, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah now I have Nogaro on the mind. It would look so pretty next to my casa avant.
Even if RR doesn't sell his (and if it were me I'd do the work myself and thats my true advice to him) I am on the hunt now for a Nogaro or Hib 6mt car that is in need of mechanical love
Old 12-24-2009, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

Cheap bastards are trying to rob you.

It's a clutch for Pete's sake. A single solid day's work, some fluid, bleed the slave and brake cylinders (might as well; you're underneath and you probably haven't done it in years), and VOILA!

Prepare yourself and your work site. Get everything (or find a good Indie). Be done and retain one of the icons of the Audi legend.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by InTTruder
Cheap bastards are trying to rob you.
Awwww come on. I did mention I would fix it if I were him. Just if he decided to sell I want first dibs And I would give that icon a fantastic home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dilema-fix myself, dealer, or bail