S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Diverter Valve Installation Problem With Vacuum Boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diverter Valve Installation Problem With Vacuum Boost

I swapped out my old Bosh diverter valves with some new HyperBoost valves from Stratmosphere. Sound easy enough right...nope!<O</O

I have a very early model S4 and the vacuum boost tube from the intake manifold does not have the intergral steel "T" head like some later models see figure 4 from the link below:

http://www.stratmosphere.com/HyperBo...structions.pdf (see Figure 4).

Mine has a straight peice of steel tube that connects to a 5mm braided Vacuum hose. This hose connects to the nylon "T" fitting. This "T" fitting has 5mm I.D. leg and two 3mm I.D. legs that feed the valves. I snapped off one of the 3mm legs trying to remove the crimped one time clamp.

I ordered a new" T" fitting from Audi part # BW 010 F05 Tpiece (2D0-129-737-A) , this piece has all three legs at 3mm. Audi can't find the correct "T" fitting they say it must be discontinued. I looked at all the exploded views on the computor at the dealers part department and it looks like this should be the right part but its not all three legs are the smaller 3mm size. We even had a mechanic helping and he was baffeled as well.

To get back on the road I used the new T piece and built up the OD of the 5mm leg with some teflon tape and used a ty-wrap to clamp it up. This is just a temp fix until I can find a replacment T.

Does anyone know where I can find this peice or have any iformation that may help.. This simple little maintenace job has turned into a pain in the ***. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Laser Red In Raleigh; 04-09-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

There were a lot of changes between the early B5 S4 and all the others... and this design is one of them. It has been so many years that I have forgotten most of the deal.

I seem to recall seeing a number of posts around 2003 where i think folks were replacing a few parts in order to mimic the better design of later B5s. Sorry that I don't know more! Memory gets foggy rather quickly.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hyperionguy
There were a lot of changes between the early B5 S4 and all the others... and this design is one of them. It has been so many years that I have forgotten most of the deal.

I seem to recall seeing a number of posts around 2003 where i think folks were replacing a few parts in order to mimic the better design of later B5s. Sorry that I don't know more! Memory gets foggy rather quickly.
I really don't want to change the design, that would require installing a new metal tube rack. I really just want to find the appropreate barbed nylon T fitting but I'm having no luck and I have tried every site and shop available. I guess I could get a straight reducer from 5mm to 3mm and use the T I got from audi but no sure i have enough room to install. Anybody HELP!!! Please.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Bump

Originally Posted by Laser Red In Raleigh
I really don't want to change the design, that would require installing a new metal tube rack. I really just want to find the appropreate barbed nylon T fitting but I'm having no luck and I have tried every site and shop available. I guess I could get a straight reducer from 5mm to 3mm and use the T I got from audi but no sure i have enough room to install. Anybody HELP!!! Please.
I’m resurrecting this old post. Does anyone know where I can find this T fitting or any suggestions on a modification.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I replaced the broken brittle plastic with a brass tee from Ace hardware, but any auto parts store should have a large selection of tees to find a match.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by johnkk
I replaced the broken brittle plastic with a brass tee from Ace hardware, but any auto parts store should have a large selection of tees to find a match.
Thanks for the response. Really you found a T with two 5mm legs and a 3 mm leg at ace hardware???? I'm heading there tonight!!!