S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Don't Know What I'm Doing Wrong w/My 2001.5

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Know What I'm Doing Wrong w/My 2001.5

Hi guys, I'm kinda at the end of my rope here- I haven't been able to sell my 2001.5 S4 and I am taking delivery of a new car tomorrow.

I've tried eBay, Auto Trader, Craig's List, and a couple Audi forum classifieds. I had a buyer a couple months ago at $10k but I couldn't get the title in time (he needed a car right away). Now I have the title and have it listed as low as $8,500 and only get questions like "why is it so cheap?"!

What am I doing wrong and what can I do within the next few days to sell it?

I don't think CarMax wouldn't give me anything for the car (do they even take 2001 model year cars?) but what about an Audi dealership?

Thanks for any help!

Sean
(In Orange County, California)

Here's a link to the eBay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...orcev4exp=true
Old 10-09-2013, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I couldn't find your ad on Audizine, is it posted there?

I would state how long you have owned the car, not everyone looking is going to know how long the original factory warranty was.

Mileage, manual, and mods are all pluses as well. Emphasize the care that you've given to the car, major maintenance performed. I wouldn't delve into describing all the minor cosmetic issues that most cars accumulate with age, pictures of car should give a good idea of the condition.

$8500 is a decent asking price, whoever is asking why it's so cheap doesn't have a good grasp of how much these cars have depreciated. If you really want to move it quick you may have to come down about $1500 more, if you can wait some I think what you're asking you might get.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Flyboy, I do not have it up on Audizine- I'll do that tonight. I do have it up on VWVortex and (of course Audiworld).

Here's one of the ads descriptions:

FS: 2001.5 B5 S4 - 6 Speed, 74K Miles, Silver, Upgrades (Orange County, CA)

The car is in really good shape and has all of the basic upgrades you would want on a B5 S4 (GIAC Chip, Euro headlights, RSR front bumper, Centric brakes and rotors, Kevlar clutch, short shift kit, Darintake). The car runs very well (smooth revs) and VERY strong. Be forewarned that the RS4 Kevlar clutch is heavier than the stock S4 one :-)

I am the second owner of the car and purchased it from the first owner while it was still under warranty. The previous owner purchased a one-time-transferable extended warranty so all repairs have been performed immediately and at an Audi dealership. However, like any car you may buy, I encourage any buyer to have a pre-purchase inspection.

As of today, this is the lowest mileage manual B5 S4 for sale in the Orange County/Los Angeles, California area.

I moved here recently from Washington, DC and lost the file I had on the car during the move. I do have the CarFax showing every detail about it's history. And I do have a clean title in hand.

The car is in great condition, but if you wanted it to be perfect, it would need a couple of the wheels to be refinished, the front spoiler/bumper crack repaired (or replace with OEM bumper), a couple of rock chips repaired and the small dash computer pixels fixed.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Put an ad on Quattroworld as well. Audiworld and VWVortex are not good sites for reaching the B5 S4 crowd, just not much activity any more.

Since you still own the car I would expect an Audi Dealership should be able to get you a printout of the service history. Any major work you can think of having done, timing belt, rear main seal, wheel bearings, etc. I'd go and mention even if you don't have the records anymore.

I'd skip saying what needs to be done to make it perfect. Perfect can be a very high standard to meet and somebody coming to see it may think perfect is literally like the day Audi built the car - unless it really is in that good of condition.