S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Driver side intake cam sprocket seems to have slipped

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side intake cam sprocket seems to have slipped

In the middle of putting my car back together right now. Went in to do timing belt and full up valve gasket replacements.

While working on the driver side valve gaskets we noticed that the timing seemed to be off. I know that per the manual you are supposed to have 16 rollers in-between the timing marks on the cams. The exhaust timing mark is offset with roller 1 being in the sprocket valley just left of the timing mark; this one seems to be fine. My problem comes with the intake cam; the timing mark seems to line up almost directly with a spine (in-between two valleys) on the sprocket, just like the exhaust cam does. This is the first time I've been this far into this car, but this doesn't seem right to me and doesn't match the manual. Trying to figure out what I should do since I can't really go off of the 16 rollers between the timing marks anymore since both marks sit under a sprocket spine instead of the intake sitting below a valley like its supposed to. Anyone got any ideas? Do I need to take the cam to a shop to have them replace the intake sprocket so that it lines up like the manual shows? Included are photos of the two timing marks.

I need to get this resolved ASAP, and all help is appreciated.

Intake Cam (timing mark in question)

Both Cams (Hard to tell where they sit due to photo angle)
Old 08-13-2015, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, its normal, the marks are not exact, look at the pictures in a shop manual setting up the timing chain, one is slightly off.