S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Experienced help plz

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced help plz

I had the valve cover gasket replaced with the Blau kit, but it has still been leaking. I do not smell the burning oil when I'm driving but I can smell it and hear it dripping and burning when I'm am outside of the car. Does anyone know what it can be? I did not get the cam plugs and pads replaced. Can that be it?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you can gear the oil dripping out of the valve covers theres a serious problem.This would indicate that the oil is pouring out of that car.Which is highly unlikely.Who did the work??you or a shop???you sure it oil you smell and not a prop shaft seal thats leaking onto the exhaust???It is possible that the cam caps are leaking.It's also possible the seals on the turbo are leaking as well.Its also possible the there is residual oil still on the exhaust that needs to be burned off.I hope this helps.Report back.
Originally Posted by Username510
I had the valve cover gasket replaced with the Blau kit, but it has still been leaking. I do not smell the burning oil when I'm driving but I can smell it and hear it dripping and burning when I'm am outside of the car. Does anyone know what it can be? I did not get the cam plugs and pads replaced. Can that be it?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A shop did the work. I think it is the oil dripping but I'm not sure, it sounds like dripping. Prop shaft? It only smells like burning after the car is warm, so I'm guessing it is dripping on the the exhaust. I don't think it is the turbo seals, someone told me there would be a huge leak if it was
Old 10-23-2011, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Could be prop shaft seal but still you wouldnt hear it dripping unless it was pouring out.If a shop did the work it is possible maybe they pinched a gasket on the corner or it didnt line up properly and is leaking.I did that on my s last year.The drivers side valve cover gasket didnt seat properly on one of the corners and I had oil leaking down the head onto the turbo.I'm not saying that the cause but it is possible.
A shop did the work. I think it is the oil dripping but I'm not sure, it sounds like dripping. Prop shaft? It only smells like burning after the car is warm, so I'm guessing it is dripping on the the exhaust. I don't think it is the turbo seals, someone told me there would be a huge leak if it was
Old 10-31-2011, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The dripping sound is probably just the oil dripping back into the oil pan, which is entirely normal after the car has been running. Even a small amount of oil will cause the burning smell as these motors get very hot. Check all around the cover to see if you can determine the location of the leak - if a shop did the work I would bring it back to them to diagnose.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would put money on the fact that its your cam seals.. you should have replaced the cam seals when you replaced the valve cover gaskets.. now you have to pay for the same labor all over again..