S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Fixed heater: Flush and temp sensor replaced, a couple of tips....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed heater: Flush and temp sensor replaced, a couple of tips....

Hi all,

I was having the (what seems like) common issues of no heat and sporadic temp gauge on my 2001 S4. After reading the tech article and talking with my local shop, I flushed the heater core and replaced the temp sensor (with updated green unit). The tech article was spot on and I would add the following as per my shop and my own experience:

*Make sure you get 7/8" INTERIOR DIAMETER hose! I bought O.D. and it was a P.I.T.A to get on the core inlet/outlet! The heat gun and a small screwdriver made it work, but it was close!

*A brass barbed female garden hose fitting made hooking up the hose a snap and I used an inline ball valve to control flow (so I didn't have to be at the faucet).

*I ran some CLR solution (for cleaning lime scale, etc) at a 50/50 ratio into the core and let it sit for 40min or so (shop recommendation).

*The temp sensor was super easy, but have a new clip ready. At 13 years old, those plastic clips break if you look at them hard! I re-inserted the broken pieces and was able to get to the dealer for a replacement with no issues.

When I flushed the heater core, surprisingly the water came out crystal clear (after flushing the pink coolant and CLR out)! Very little rust/debris.

So I'm assuming the heater culprit was the sensor, as now I have *HEAT* and my gauge is back to normal.

Cheers,
E.