S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Flywheel / clutch selection help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel / clutch selection help

I'm looking for some guidance on an unusual project and I think the S4 tuners have the most practical input to offer so here it goes....

I'm converting my RS6 to a 6-speed manual. I've got all the parts except for a couple crucial items - the clutch and flywheel. I'm not dragging or tracking the car so other than handling the power (520hp, 500 lbft), I'm looking for the most friendly combination that I can find from a drivability standpoint.

I'm currently eyeballing a Spec Stage 2+ clutch, which seems to fit the power application, drivability and durability quite well. Any thoughts on that would be great.

The flywheel is another matter. Two people have developed custom 10-bolt 2.7T flywheels. It's basically the standard lightweight 2.7T aluminum one from Aasco (I think APR sells this brand). There is also a full steel one in the works. My question is what are the tradeoffs between the lighter weight aluminum (19 lbs) versus the 28 lb steel one? I know a lot of S4 guys have experience with both so any real-world experience is appreciated.

With the higher horsepower, am I better off with the steel one for a smooth engagement, or is it more about the clutch selection that I should be worried about.

Any input/comments are appreciated. Be looking on RS6.com for a thread to startup in the next 2-4 weeks with the build status and photos.

Thanks,

Erik
Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody seems to love the lw flywheels on the S4. I've heard complaints about the lw flywheels causing rattling in porshe and VW models, but the 2.7 t seems to be spared this irriatation.

High HP the clutch will matter more. Go with the VAST stage 3 or similar, as well as the rs4 pressure plate. The machine shop told me that a lw flywheel would be better for high HP applications as well - actually, they told me to do a single-mass conversion, but then they looked it up and saw noone offers this for the s4, so the LW flywheel is the second best option.