S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Front Wheel Speed Sensor Help

Old 08-09-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front Wheel Speed Sensor Help

Hi guys,
so...I've been having some issues with my gf's A4. She had a bearing go, and I replaced that and when I got everything back together, the ABS light was on. Pulled the codes and got 00285 - front right wheel speed sensor. I bought a new one on ebay for $13 and when I went to take the old one out, it was seized pretty solid. The sensor part snapped off inside the housing. So, I went to remove the axle so I could hammer out the remaining bits from the inside...and the bolt (that I removed 2 months earlier) had somehow seized solid. After breaking 3 breaker bars I brought it to a shop and they heated it with an acetylene torch and used their big impact wrench and it came off. I then removed the axle, installed a new sensor, and drove off. And then the light came back on instantly.

A couple days later, the bearing started making noise...it was brand new, but the torch and impact probably toasted it I figured. So I took it apart and when I did, I found that I made a mistake installing. I had the axle out when I put the new sensor into the housing, and the sensor must have been too long or gone in too far, and it got crushed in between the housing and the axle. The new sensor looked way too long as I looked more closely. So I bought one from FCP.

This time, I didn't have to remove the sensor or axle and installed the new sensor with the axle in. The thing that concerns me is that despite the fact that I cleaned the housing and retainer ring for the sensor with brake cleaner and sand paper, the new sensors don't just go in. I actually have to use a rubber mallet and LIGHTLY tap the back to get it to seat. I'm not hammering away by any means, but there is no way I could push it in by hand other than to wiggle it.

Now that I have the new one in, the ABS light went out for a while and then comes back on after I drive about 1/4 mile. I cleared with the vag-com and tried again and it came right back. What am I doing wrong? I wouldn't think it would be possible to drive it too far in with the axle already in, and I didn't hammer away on the thing, just went until the rubber was somewhat compressed so it would keep dirt out...
Old 08-11-2014, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just in case someone else has a similar problem - I took the axle out yesterday and had a closer look. The new sensor seats in their perfectly and the replacement I got off ebay was just too long. The FCP part is fine.

The tone ring was on the axle when I took it apart the first time, but had been rubbing the first sensor I put in, which was too long and when I popped the axle out this time, the ring just fell right off. It was no longer attached, so I pulled it off to avoid damaging anything else, put the axle back in, and will have to grab a new axle in a couple weeks when I get some extra cash.