S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Fuel Injector leak fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector leak fix

Looking for a sealant for a fuel injector seal leak. Would like to replace all rubber washers, but was unable to find diagram / lacking funds to have a mechanic rip of the fuel rail and replace all injector gaskets. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As far as I know there are no sealants that can properly fix this. If your injectors are leaking you need to replace the o-ring seals. The fuel is coming out at a pretty high pressure so a stop leak additive will not hold up for long. I don't have to tell you that having fuel leaking out and pooling up on top of the engine is very dangerous. You need to take the time to repair this properly.

The o-rings are not expensive and removing and replacing the fuel-rail is not that hard.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

its easy to do! the gaskets are super cheap and you can DIY no problem
Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

oh boy, don't let complacentsee catch you calling an o-ring a gasket. Them's fighting words.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

haha damnit, o-ring my bad. I searched through the forums for awhile but yet to find a thread describing how to replace the o rings / take off the fuel rail. Also where can I grab a set of these o rings from? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

To get to the fuel rail you need to remove the Y-pipe first
- remove the 3 bolts holding the y-pipe to the top of the intake manifold
- loosen the hose clamp on the accordion hose from the intake
- loosen the two front hose clamps on the y-pipe
- disconnect the Vacuum connect on the rear right of the y-pipe
- twist the y-pipe out carefully
- Plug the turbo inlet pipe hoses with some newspaper

To get the fuel rail off:

- Release the fuel line pressure and then disconnect the fuel feed and return lines
- You then need to start removing all of the various things that are connected to the fuel rail, a few hoses, some sensor clips and so on
- You need to disconnect the electrical harnesses for all of the fuel injectors
- There are a few bolts holding the fuel rail to the manifold, remove these
- Carefully pull the fuel rail with injectors still on it up and out of the engine bay
- Remove the square clips holding the injectors in - be careful with these as you need them again for install (the clips)
- Twist slightly back and forth and pull to remove the injectors from the fuel rail.

You can just pull the old o-rings off but when you put the new ones on make sure to lubricate them with oil or gasoline or else they will tear. Make sure they go on evenly and are not twisted up or stretched.

Install is the reverse, but once again, lubricate the o-rings on the fuel injector tips when putting the rail onto the manifold again. Carefully jiggle and push the individual injectors until they go in fully.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You will have to pry the rail out though. I did the opposite, removed the clips, lifted rails off injectors and then wiggled injectors out of there. They were REALLY hard to wiggle out though so I would imagine you'd need a lot of force to lift six of them at once with the fuel rail.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How would you release the fuel line pressure? and would I have to pinch the fuel feed so not to pour gas on myself?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by adrian.denizs4
How would you release the fuel line pressure? and would I have to pinch the fuel feed so not to pour gas on myself?
Oops, sorry - the fuel line pressure will be released when you loosen the nut on the fuel feed line to remove it. There is a compression fitting connecting the fuel line and the fuel rail.

You are going to have some fuel come out no matter what but it is not a large quantity. You don't have to pinch off the line or anything like that. Mop up as much as you can with a rag and wrap the fuel line end to keep it from dripping. Be cautions while there are fumes of liquid fuel still present. You might want to disconnect the battery before you start this job to minimize accidental sparks.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds pretty straight forward. Just have to clean my garage out now to get the car out of the snow! Is it possible to clean the injectors when I take them out? What would I use carb cleaner or something of that nature ?

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector leak fix