S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Which To Go For

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which To Go For

I'm in the process of looking at S4's and I've come across two that I like and a few other handfuls I'm keeping an eye on and asking questions about.

The two main ones in question are a 2001 Imola with 118k, black leather, navi, etc, RS4 wheels, AWE exhaust, AWE DTS, Bailey diverter valves, ABD cold air intake, Stasis coil-overs and GIAC chip which the guy said wasn't working quite right he thought (Makes me kind of nervous). He said it was boosting to 14 psi when he thought it was more before that and he also mentioned the shifting was a little sloppy seeing how its just the stock shifter assembly (UUC short shifter was listed in upgrades but he seems to think it doesn't have this). This one is said to have brand new turbos (K03's) due to a misdiagnosed tear in the TBB as well as a new timing belt and water pump, cam and cam seals, valve cover gaskets and new front axel (doesn't specify one or both, just says "axel"). I'll be asking for recepits and records of these obviously since I don't want to get shafted. I'd almost rather not have the navi because I don't want to pay extra for something I wont use (I have a GPS). Also curious what peoples thoughts were on the ABD intake... Price - $13,997.

The other is a Silver 2000 with 66k miles, alcantara seats (white and black), 17" BBS wheels with brand new tires, and H & R Coilovers. Sent the guy an email asking if anything else was done to it and asked for service records and if the timing belt and water pump were replaced yet. Price - $14,499.

Both are at dealerships.

Leaning more towards the silver one since it has lower miles and I like the seats more as well as the lack of sat nav (as weird as that may sound) but I'm also curious if miles are a huge deal with the 2.7's. I'm coming from a TDI and expect 250k out of an engine at least so I'm not sure what to expect from these in terms of mileage.

Am I better off just modding myself with the silver one or going with the yellow one despite the higher miles and few mods most of which I planned on doing except for the ABD if it wasnt that great of a intake and maybe the DV's... Was leaning more towards the Bosch 710's (I think they're called, still trying to learn my way around these things).

Sorry for the lengthy first post guys, but I want to get this right the first time and not regret the decision later. Let me know what you guys think. TIA.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Whoops, both are manuals as well.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TravS4
Whoops, both are manuals as well.
Personally, I would take the silver one. I don't like the idea of not knowing exactly what has been modded and whether or not everything was installed properly. Plus, the new K03's were a waste of money, IMO.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Keep in mind that for the price these guys are asking you can almost get a Stage 3 car...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Out of these two the silver one but,

you could probably find a better deal than either of these. I found my car with all mods listed below besides intercoolers and sway bars for 14,500 and 117k miles a year ago. I've put 20k on it without problems. If your looking for stock get a low mileage single owner one that has service records, like the silver one but I do feel that price is pretty steep. I wouldn't buy a modded one unless it has K04's or better that were installed by a good shop and done right. Buying a chipped k03 car scares me since it is more likely that the turbos are warn and replacement costs ~5k. The motor on these will run well past 200k if taken care of but maintenance is pricey. IMO getting a proper stg 3 car is the way to go, it will save you some headaches, and in the current economy they are selling for pretty cheap.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

^ Is it worth getting a stage 3 car even if I planned on GT28R's?

I was thinking it'd be better to start off with a car without mods and add on what I wanted so that the motor and everything else weren't stressed from the previous mods. Or is that really not a big deal and I could just sell the stage 3 stuff I don't need to help fund the stage 4?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

hmm, good question, if you want something bigger than K04's I'd probably get a stock one because you'll have sell most all of the stg 3 stuff which would probably be a pain and I don't think you'd make much if any money off of it, someone posted a link to this on another forum, seems pretty solid and cheaper than the ones you posted.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/eBay-Mot...8.l1313&_rdc=1
Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

another thing to keep in mind is that the 2001 and 2001 models dont have esp while 2001.5 and 2002 do. Also the later models have a few other things upgraded but if your going to do gt's you'd replace all those parts anyhow. MAF etc.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4500366
Old 11-08-2009, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

118k is a lot of miles. I'd go for the silver one with 66k, although it is a 2000... I actually recently purchased a silver 2002 S4 with the white alcantara seats - about the same as what you're looking at. I'm all for lower miles as everything is less worn that way. $14.5k sounds a little bit high for a 2000. Not bad, just a tad high.

Good luck with the purchase! Silver is the best 'sleeper' color I think too

Quick Reply: Which To Go For