S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Going To Court For Speeding Ticket Tomorrow. Advice welcome

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going To Court For Speeding Ticket Tomorrow. Advice welcome

I was going 77mph on Rt 684 in NY in the town of Bedford. A NY state trooper pulled me and another vehicle over at the same time. The ticket specifies that i was clocked with laser. I am going to court at 8am tomorrow. If anyone knows where Blueford is that would help also.
If anyone knows what i could use as my defense or what to say to maybe get it bargained down. The speedlimit was 55 in the area but i was assuming it was 65 when i was going 77.

-Lou
Old 03-28-2001, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

also ticket apears to be vauge of pm or am i cant tell - avg time?
Old 03-28-2001, 05:05 PM

Default did you ask the cop to let you see the radar gun with your speed on it?

Also, check when was the last time he calibrated it... At least in CA, they have to calibrate it every month or 3 weeks.
also, check this site out:<ul><li><a href="http://www.motorists.org/">http://www.motorists.org/</a></li></ul>
Old 03-28-2001, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

no i didnt ask this is after the fact can that help now?
Old 03-28-2001, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I frequently been on that highway....

Particularly the Bedford area... You must've gotten snagged near the Bedford exit on this look out hill.. There is a state trooper hiding there often..

Sorry, but I dont think the 65mph speed limit argument will work too well, although you can give it a shot... There is no 65mph speed limit highway anywhere in that area... You just got unlucky, people speed in that area like crazy.. I frequently witness cars going over 80mph there..
Old 03-28-2001, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

so if i did 77 in a 55 how many points will i get and will they transfert to NJ?
Old 03-28-2001, 05:24 PM

Default something else you could do is the following

copied and pasted from somewhere =)
The Basic Speed Law, CVC 22350, states:""No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property."

In these cases, the officer is required to record the road conditions at the time of the stop. If it was pouring rain with heavy traffic, and you were driving 10-15mph above the posted limit, this is not safe at all and the ticket is probably quite justified. However, if the weather was clear and dry with light to medium traffic, it might be completely safe to drive at 10-15 mph above the suggested speed limit. In these cases a Basic Speed Law citation is unjustified, though most officer's will write them anyway.

Motorists are easily fooled into believing that they broke the Basic Speed Law . Most officers never mention that they are citing you for driving at an "unsafe speed for conditions." The police will simply state,"You were going 50 in a 40 zone. Sign your ticket." You know that you were driving above 40 mph, so you accept the ticket, assuming that you're guilty.In reality, if your speed of 50 mph in a 40 mph zone was not endangering life and property, then driving at that speed was not illegal.

hope it helps....
Old 03-28-2001, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

"I thought the tachometer was the spedometer and that I was going 45."
Old 03-28-2001, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Not good news for you, but here's the facts-->

in NYS, 20+ over is a 6 point offense. That's a pretty big hit. I assume that you have a NJ drivers license. Unfortunately for you, once again, NJ does accept points from all other states. (NYS does not, for example. So if a NYS driver gets tickets in NJ or any other state (for anything other than an alcohol or drug impaired condition) the points don't count against his NYS license) You being a New Jerseyean will get full reciprocity as far as the points are concerned. Date/time do not matter on a speeding/moving violation. The odds are slim that you'll get it reduced, but it is possible. Don't even think about the trooper not showing up, that almost never happens. Don't get your hopes up about beating the ticket, that almost never happens. You have no real defense against a speeding ticket, the most you can do is claim that you really didn't realize how fast you were driving and hope for leniency.
Old 03-28-2001, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Many judges wrongly assume that laser (ladar) is failproof...good luck!

Quick Reply: Going To Court For Speeding Ticket Tomorrow. Advice welcome