S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

H&R Springs/Bilstein front ride height problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Springs/Bilstein front ride height problem

So I've STFA for a couple hours, but I need some additional feedback. I just had the H&R/Bilstein combo installed by a local enthusiast shop and the back is perfect - ride height is around 25.25", but the front is at 24" with absolutely no fender gap. See the attached pics.

When STFA, I got educated on Bilstein grooves and saw a post where someone said they had a 24" ride height when installing Bilsteins that didn't have any grooves. Can anyone shed light on what is going on here? Wouldn't an Audi/VW speciality shop that has advertised this setup on their website and presumably done it many times over the years know what is required to install these correctly?

Essentially, I don't want to pay for any solution (either removal and grooving or ECS sleeves) and I'm looking for some backup. Would it be unreasonable of me to demand the shop fix this even though they ordered the correct parts? (I pulled a wheel off to check the part numbers)
Attached Images      
Old 10-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor

It's very likely you have the wrong front shock with the incorrect lower spring perch. Looks like you have the front shock from an earlier A4, with the vented spring perch, instead of the S4 cylindrical spring perch. The correct S4 front shock, or the appropriate lower spring perch will raise the car back up about .5" or so.

Here's a post that discusses it.. Mostly however about people changing the perches out to go the other direction you're going, lowering the front, instead of raising it.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ing-caps/page5

Keep in mind, that the H&R springs are just normally a very low riding spring. Not one we generally recommend much for the S4.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MikekiM@PureMS
It's very likely you have the wrong front shock with the incorrect lower spring perch. Looks like you have the front shock from an earlier A4, with the vented spring perch, instead of the S4 cylindrical spring perch. The correct S4 front shock, or the appropriate lower spring perch will raise the car back up about .5" or so.

Here's a post that discusses it.. Mostly however about people changing the perches out to go the other direction you're going, lowering the front, instead of raising it.

Keep in mind, that the H&R springs are just normally a very low riding spring. Not one we generally recommend much for the S4.
where can i get something like that? ive been looking for a way to lower my car without effecting the stock ride.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MikekiM@PureMS

Mike, thanks for the info. The part number on the shock is F4-BE3-B413-H1, which is what a search on Bilstein's site reveals as the proper part for a 2000 S4. I notice the part number on your site is BE3B413HO, which appears to be the same if you omit the F4 at the beginning, except the last character. Can you confirm the correct part number you would sell for this application? I can't imagine Bilstein's own site being wrong. Regarding the spring perch, wouldn't they just have reused the original perch that was on the car?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Former Vendor

The BE3B413 is the appropriate shock.
Double check the lower spring perch. The problem is that the S4 came with 2 different lower spring perches, which resulted in a difference in ride height of that .5". When spring makers designed the replacement spring, they picked one car and designed around it. I believe H&R probably used a car that had the perch in the higher location, and didn't bother accounting for cars with the lower spring perch position.

The same problem exists on 2001 A4 models, when they also switched spring perches, and 2001 VW Passats.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The H&R is just too low to begin with. I remember having the same concern when I got finished with the install - I could barely fit a pinky between the top of tire and the fender.

I always tell people when they ask about springs: don't do H&R bilstien and just save up for some coilovers because eventually you'll tired of dragging the car's belly over every bump in the road.

Good luck though, and I hope you get it taken care of without spending more $$$.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Situation Update

I just wanted to come back to this thread and close the loop on the story. The shop that installed the springs/shocks, Induktion Motorsports was super gracious and in conjunction with the chaps at AWE, came to the conclusion that the 2000 spring perches sat too low for this setup. Apparently Bilstein used to cut grooves in the shock bodies that would allow for multiple mounting points of the spring perch. This is no longer the case and the spring perch just sits too low. In an attempt to improve the issue, they installed spring perches from a 2002 car, which are higher. At the time, I was pleased, although the front still sat too low for my taste and over time I've grown more discontent. It only raised the front end about 3/8 inch, which was enough to dramatically improve the handling feel, but it still isn't right and I've got way too many clearance issues over bumps and in parking garages. As I indicated in the first post, the back was lowered a perfect 1.3 inches, as advertised. The front however, has been lowered over 2 inches, much more than the advertised 1.4 inches. I honestly don't get how this application is completely wrong, especially given all the folks who have purchased it in the past. I also can't reconcile the pictures of other cars with this setup that look fine. I'll be switching to Vogtland springs shortly.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So you weren't able to get the ride height right? B/C I am having the same issue but in the rear of the car. The front is perfect but rear is too low. Did any you did help much?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

SHOStpr: the only solutions to this issue are to get the ecs coilover conversion or to use spring perches from a late model b5 s4. The best solution is to grit your teeth while you save up for PSS9: http://shop.achtuning.com/bilstein-g...-b5-a4-s4.aspx

It can't be repeated enough: don't go Bilstein H&R on this car! I wish I had saved up for a better set-up, and so does my front bumper, oil-pan, DTS and intercooler, all of which have nice dents in them from minor road obstacles.

Last edited by donromani; 05-16-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by donromani
SHOStpr: the only solutions to this issue are to get the ecs coilover conversion or to use spring perches from a late model b5 s4. The best solution is to grit your teeth while you save up for PSS9: http://shop.achtuning.com/bilstein-g...-b5-a4-s4.aspx

It can't be repeated enough: don't go Bilstein H&R on this car! I wish I had saved up for a better set-up, and so does my front bumper, oil-pan, DTS and intercooler, all of which have nice dents in them from minor road obstacles.
Thanks! Too late I will have to live with it for awhile now.

Quick Reply: H&R Springs/Bilstein front ride height problem