S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

H&R Ultras/install/alignment costs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Ultras/install/alignment costs?

What should I anticipate paying or what have other people paid for buying the Ultras, having them installed, and getting an alignment. This would be done all at one shop.

Thanks for any info!
Old 03-19-2002, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was quoted $275 for install and another $80 for corner balance and alignment.

The shop is called McB Motorsports and is in Bridgeville, PA. I ended up installing them myself.

By the way, did we meet in Akron?
Old 03-19-2002, 09:07 AM

Default Hey, thanks....

Yeah, we did meet in Akron. I had the Nogaro S4 (duh). I plan on getting my Ultras in the next 2 weeks, or so. I was just wondering what people were paying for the whole ball of wax.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-19-2002, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i met both of you two in akron!!! i had the Sant Blue A4...

but steve was the dork.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You're welcome! I've seen some places quote a lot more than that though, so shop around.

If you want to try a DIY install, I'm only a few hours away ;-)
Old 03-19-2002, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey Phil!!!! Still need ND tix?
Old 03-19-2002, 09:28 AM

Default Just out of curiosity...

How hard is the DIY install? I've become a pro at doing Honda suspensions...but I haven't even considered doing an Audi install yet. I did the rear swaybar...but the rest of the suspension looks like a PITA. Any insight? TIA.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am getting H&R w/ Bilsteins (from AWE) installed monday...Question:

What is a corner balance? The local performance tech said that an alignment will cost around $69. He didn't mention anything about a corner balance. What else is necessary for a quattro?

Thanks

GigaEnvy
Old 03-19-2002, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Corner balancing is for coilovers. It's to make sure the car is not teetering like a seesaw across..

opposite corners. You do not need a corner balance if you do not have adjustable spring perches. Hope that helps.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It was quite easy actually. The biggest PITA was the front strut nuts.

All I did was follow the factory manual's instructions and the struts came out pretty easy. I did not have to pop the front lower balljoint like the manual said though. The front upper arms took a little persuasion to come out of the hub carrier. Using spring compressors to shorten the struts before trying to maneuver them out of position made life a lot easier. The rears were very simple, no problems at all. You only have to look out for the upper arm that comes out along with the strut mount or you might put a ding going from inside out in your fender. Putting the Ultras in were easy. They were so short that there was tons of clearance all round. The manual said to make sure the suspension is in its loaded postition before tightening the nuts because the bushings could only twist so far (time for rose joints), so I had the car sitting on jackstands placed as far outboard as I could. It was a good way to check ride height before I put the wheels back on. Err.. can't think of any more insights. Got any questions?

Quick Reply: H&R Ultras/install/alignment costs?