S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

HELP! - Cluster EPC Light, ABS Light, and "Triangle!" Light All Came On (??)

Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! - Cluster EPC Light, ABS Light, and "Triangle!" Light All Came On (??)

I will try to give as much info as possible. If I am omitting any information please feel free to ask. I attempted a search on this but did not find any posts similar to my problem. I appreciate any and all help you guys can lend!

I have had my B5 S4 for about 2 months or so. I took it on my longest drive to-date, which was around 100 miles and/or 2 hours long. My car drove to the destination fine with no problems whatsoever. I was at a crusing speed of about 80 mph the entire time.

When I left to come back home, the car was once again doing fine with no problems. I was driving a little faster at around 85 mph, with some short peaks of around 95/100 mph. Towards the end of my trip home it started to rain a little (typical Florida off/on rain; nothing too major but was steady). Out of nowhere my car felt as though it was "bogging down" and I noticed that the EPC light, the triangle (traction control?) light, and ABS light all came on. My first instinct was that my traction control was engaging, possibly because of the wet roads. However, I slowed down and soon realized that I was definately not losing traction at all. The car was driving normally again at this point. When I got off the highway and came to complete stops, the lights remained on as well.

I pulled into a restaurant to eat and spent about 3-/45 minutes there. When I got back into my car to go to work the lights were on once again, but the car was driving normally. After leaving work after about 1.5 hours, I got into my car and those 3 lights were all off. I drove home (around 20-30 min. drive) and everything was fine with no problems at all.

Why did this happen and what does it mean?!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've had ABS and ESP lights on too..water propblem

Sounds like what happened to me, slightly different story but close. The ABS and ESP lights came one when I was "playing" in a rather deep puddle. a solid 6-7 inches deep. Now that's a ton of water... I was hitting it fast and slow, donuts and all. After awhile.. I had the ABS and ESP lights actually stay on instead of only flashing due to power restriction and traction loss. So I stopped, shut down the car. Powered it back up, started just fine and both lights were out. Now the reason for the lights coming on was because water got to the ABS modules plug, where it probably shorted something for a moment. Which shutdown the ABS totally. Cycling the ignition, usually turns it off. Unless it throw a code or water is still in there, in which case it needs to be scanned to see how severe the problem is or just let it dry out.

Now that was my case. everything turned off after words and nothing happened to power.

As for EPC coming on... it's what cause the car to feel sluggish. I'm thinking it may be that some how water had gotten somewhere, where it wasn't supposed to be, which the car would go into limp mode. EPC, Electronic Power Controller, means power as in engine power cutoff or lesser power (limp mode).

"Straight from Audi manual". "If the engine management system experiences trouble while you are on the road, the indicator light will come on to alert you. The electronic engine power control system will automatically switch to the failure-mode program. You will experience some reduction in engine power. Drive the car to an authorized Audi stealer as soon as possible."

If it rained, we here don't know how much "steady" really is. It can mean anything. but... if it rained enough to possibly wet some plug or unit, maybe that's what it was. I know that with my abs, I had to sometimes wait for the plug to dry out before the abs esp system would come back online.

It could be that's what happened with yours, could also be a number of things that could be wrong.

Again, I'm not a 100% sure. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can clarify things.

Chris

Last edited by Chris's S4; 04-29-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chris's S4
Sounds like what happened to me, slightly different story but close. The ABS and ESP lights came one when I was "playing" in a rather deep puddle. a solid 6-7 inches deep. Now that's a ton of water... I was hitting it fast and slow, donuts and all. After awhile.. I had the ABS and ESP lights actually stay on instead of only flashing due to power restriction and traction loss. So I stopped, shut down the car. Powered it back up, started just fine and both lights were out. Now the reason for the lights coming on was because water got to the ABS modules plug, where it probably shorted something for a moment. Which shutdown the ABS totally. Cycling the ignition, usually turns it off. Unless it throw a code or water is still in there, in which case it needs to be scanned to see how severe the problem is or just let it dry out.

Now that was my case. everything turned off after words and nothing happened to power.

As for EPC coming on... it's what cause the car to feel sluggish. I'm thinking it may be that some how water had gotten somewhere, where it wasn't supposed to be, which the car would go into limp mode. EPC, Electronic Power Controller, means power as in engine power cutoff or lesser power (limp mode).

"Straight from Audi manual". "If the engine management system experiences trouble while you are on the road, the indicator light will come on to alert you. The electronic engine power control system will automatically switch to the failure-mode program. You will experience some reduction in engine power. Drive the car to an authorized Audi stealer as soon as possible."

If it rained, we here don't know how much "steady" really is. It can mean anything. but... if it rained enough to possibly wet some plug or unit, maybe that's what it was. I know that with my abs, I had to sometimes wait for the plug to dry out before the abs esp system would come back online.

It could be that's what happened with yours, could also be a number of things that could be wrong.

Again, I'm not a 100% sure. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can clarify things.

Chris
Well I really appreciate you taking the time to give me such a detailed reply! I also suspected that it was water getting in somewhere like you said (that was one of the possibilities I read about when I did a search) but was not sure since the lights went out so quickly...it was still raining by the time I left work so I didn't think that it would have had sufficient time to "dry" out. I will try to have the ECU box are checked ASAP for leaks and take it from there!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default hmm..

However, I slowed down and soon realized that I was definately not losing traction at all. The car was driving normally again at this point. When I got off the highway and came to complete stops, the lights remained on as well.
My thoughts on this, maybe with having water in some plug somewhere, it was went into limp mode due to speed. I'm not sure why being I've driven my car without abs or traction control cuz someone pulled one of the three fuses for the system.

Were there any bumps on that road? I ask because an old buddy who has an S4 has this issue with the ESP and I believe also ABS coming on at the same time when we would come around corners fairly hard... it would randomly turn off on its own during driving and sometimes wouldn't. I couldn't finish inspecting his car, but on the last thing I was doing, I was looking for loose connections.

I can only speculate what it may be. Hopefully someone will come along with more info on the situation and enlighten us all. This probably isn't helpful at all... Sorry bro.

I pulled into a restaurant to eat and spent about 3-/45 minutes there. When I got back into my car to go to work the lights were on once again, but the car was driving normally. After leaving work after about 1.5 hours, I got into my car and those 3 lights were all off. I drove home (around 20-30 min. drive) and everything was fine with no problems at all.
the lights probably turned off because it no longer found a fault in the system, which when the ignition was cycled again, turned out to be fine.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is possible that water was getting into the ecu .I have seeen the box located on the driver side cowl area where the ecu is located leak.There it a top piece which is a cover and there is a lower piece thats bolted to the body that has a seal between the body and the box.I have seen them leak in the past but normally your carpet would be wet on the drivers side depengind on how much water is getting in.

Another possible choice is that the abs unit is failing.audi abs units and vws pretty much use the very same system made by ate.There is a very tiny wire located inside the electronic portion of the abs unit that breaks or has a poor connection which could also trigger the epc,abs and traction control light.Another possible cause could be a faulty brake light switch.Thats pretty much it.

If it turns out to be a abs unit dont bother buying new from dealer its crazy expensive.There is a place I use in Alabama that rebuilds these units for about $60.you would have to removed yours and send it out to them to get rebuilt.You can drive your car without the electronic portion of the abs you just wount have ABS but the brakes will function normally you will lock the wheels if you slam on the brakes as if doing a panic stop.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default EEEEEKKKKk!!! NO brakes, what will I ever do!

Originally Posted by EuroXS4
you just wount have ABS but the brakes will function normally you will lock the wheels if you slam on the brakes as if doing a panic stop.
LOVE IT!!!!! LOL been there done that, when my abs system was out due to some D-bag who removed one of the fuses. lol Man I love my Audi. They thought the abs system was dead cuz it reacted badly with the rear brakes so they thought hey screw fixing it, lets just pull the fuse. oh then lets sell the car that way. lol

Meh got a grand off the top cuz of that... turned out it was a stupid fuse and some rust in the rear wheel sensors. Saved my *** a grand thou... heheheheh
Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

LOL sounds like a sweet deal thats how I bought my s4 except It needed some work guy wanted 7k for it i got him down to 4k lol.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default AWESOMENESS!!!

Originally Posted by EuroXS4
LOL sounds like a sweet deal thats how I bought my s4 except It needed some work guy wanted 7k for it i got him down to 4k lol.
Nice, now that's what I like to hear! lol
Old 06-23-2016, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello

I need to open up this thread. I have a 2003 Allroad with this same ABS/ ECS/ Triangle light problem. Add to that the feeling like the ECS system has the brakes partially engaged. The brakes will stay engaged to the point of overheating. Letting the car cool down does eventually release the brakes but the problem will return after driving for some time. I haven't driven the car through huge puddles or in heavy rain but did go through a car wash recently so perhaps there's a connection there. Very frustrating. I thought perhaps a bad front wheel bearing could be to blame as prior to this issue the ABS would engage on hard cornering so I figured the tone ring was out of range and falsely triggering an ABS response. I don't feel any play from the front wheels though.
Pulling hair out here so any help is most appreciated!
Old 10-21-2016, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you figure out what was causing the issue? I had the same problem, 3 lights and loss of power. Once when I was taking a corner while it was raining and once while I was doing a U-Turn. Both times I turned the car off and back on and it went away.

My car is a 2003 Audi A4 3.0

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! - Cluster EPC Light, ABS Light, and "Triangle!" Light All Came On (??)