S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

help! crank is locked up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! crank is locked up!

So after pulling my motor with the tranny to do the upper oil pan gasket, replace the upper oil pan itself, replace the oil pump, K04 swap, do the timing belt, and a few other little things here and there... the crank locks up, whether I turn it by hand or using the starter. The crank shaft will turn about 1/12 of a rotation in either direction before it seizes. I can not figure out for the life of me why. I have checked the timing a thousand times over because I thought that maybe the valves were hitting the pistons but it was fine, and even when I took the timing belt back off it still would lock up, then I took the lower oil pan off again to check the new oil pump I installed to make sure that it was not seizing up or something... but thats not it either. The only other things I can think of are that a wad of carbon got into a cylinder through a spark plug hole or something while I was working on it or a little bolt got into the flywheel through one of the holes on the top of the bell housing. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default well...

Originally Posted by speed/efficiency
So after pulling my motor with the tranny to do the upper oil pan gasket, replace the upper oil pan itself, replace the oil pump, K04 swap, do the timing belt, and a few other little things here and there... the crank locks up, whether I turn it by hand or using the starter. The crank shaft will turn about 1/12 of a rotation in either direction before it seizes. I can not figure out for the life of me why. I have checked the timing a thousand times over because I thought that maybe the valves were hitting the pistons but it was fine, and even when I took the timing belt back off it still would lock up, then I took the lower oil pan off again to check the new oil pump I installed to make sure that it was not seizing up or something... but thats not it either. The only other things I can think of are that a wad of carbon got into a cylinder through a spark plug hole or something while I was working on it or a little bolt got into the flywheel through one of the holes on the top of the bell housing. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!
Did ya use a crank lock pin? If so, did ya remove it? :-O
Old 07-07-2011, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chris's S4
Did ya use a crank lock pin? If so, did ya remove it? :-O
Oh man, that would be a facepalm moment right there, but at least it would mean nothing terrible is going on with that motor.

If you don't have a crank pin in there then my first suspect would be the oil pump chain - is it possible it hopped off the crank gear and is jamming up the system?

Also check the clearances of the rotating assembly - maybe the crank counter weights are hitting the sides of that new upper pan?
Old 07-07-2011, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

As donromani mentioned check those things.Also are you sure you put the right bolts into the upper oil pam?The bolts are different lengths make sure you didnt put a longer bolt somewhere where it didnt belong and cause an issue.To me personally It sounds timing related.But thats just me.I always lock and crank and use the cam tool so theres no surprises.Just my way of do it once and right the first time around.Let us know what you find.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by donromani
Oh man, that would be a facepalm moment right there, but at least it would mean nothing terrible is going on with that motor.

If you don't have a crank pin in there then my first suspect would be the oil pump chain - is it possible it hopped off the crank gear and is jamming up the system?

Also check the clearances of the rotating assembly - maybe the crank counter weights are hitting the sides of that new upper pan?
Nope no crank pin in. Why would the counterweights be hitting my upper pan? I know its a new pan but its the exact same part number and everything as my old one.

Originally Posted by EuroXS4
As donromani mentioned check those things.Also are you sure you put the right bolts into the upper oil pam?The bolts are different lengths make sure you didnt put a longer bolt somewhere where it didnt belong and cause an issue.To me personally It sounds timing related.But thats just me.I always lock and crank and use the cam tool so theres no surprises.Just my way of do it once and right the first time around.Let us know what you find.
I guess its a possibility I put too long of a bolt in, but how would this cause my crankshaft to lock up? I know having too long of a bolt can cause the block to crack but never heard of this leading to a seized crank shaft?

thanks for the replies guys!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

that bottom pan is all aluminum.I've seen people put the wrong bolts into the wrong placement on the pan which cause aluminum to chip off and get jammed in the oil pump chain among other things.