S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Help with EGT issue and other newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with EGT issue and other newbie questions

Hi I just bought a 2000 s4 with a bad egt sensor and was wondering what the best approach is to fix it either coding it out or just replacing it. The car has a giac stage 2 tune on it so idk if that makes the coding easier or harder and how would I go about coding it? Also what logging and diagnostic stuff should I get? If i was to just replace it how much would it cost with labor and without labor and how hard would it be to do? Im trying to quickly learn this stuff but I couldnt pass on the deal and its great to finally join you guys in owning an audi. Thanks in advance
Wolfi
Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If it's the passenger side it isn't very hard to replace. I don't think trying to modify an aftermarket tuned ECU would be a good idea, and if you want to try then you need to pick up some software tools like TunerPro, the ME7 checksum program, the checksum checker, nefmoto for reading and flashing, and it wouldn't hurt to have ME7Logger so you can figure out if your modification to the tune worked. You'll also need a cable for hooking up to the OBD port. If you're asking about what you need to log the car you probably ought to hold off for a bit on trying to alter the ECU software.

You might find a used EGT sensor in the classifieds or at a used parts dealer. If it were me I'd do it right and replace it. Off the top of my head ECS Tuning and Eurpoa are two places that probably carry them, you could also dig up the part number and look at some of the Audi/VW discount parts sites like GenuineAudiParts.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2_stroke_smoke
Hi I just bought a 2000 s4 with a bad egt sensor and was wondering what the best approach is to fix it either coding it out or just replacing it. The car has a giac stage 2 tune on it so idk if that makes the coding easier or harder and how would I go about coding it? Also what logging and diagnostic stuff should I get? If i was to just replace it how much would it cost with labor and without labor and how hard would it be to do? Im trying to quickly learn this stuff but I couldnt pass on the deal and its great to finally join you guys in owning an audi. Thanks in advance
Wolfi

Takes an hour (or 30min on repeat attempts) to DIY... The sensors are prety expensive (almost 500$ for both). If you have the desire to do it its fairly easy just have to squeeze ur arm into a few tight spots and have patience...
Old 07-16-2013, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgc5034
Takes an hour (or 30min on repeat attempts) to DIY... The sensors are prety expensive (almost 500$ for both). If you have the desire to do it its fairly easy just have to squeeze ur arm into a few tight spots and have patience...
Passenger side is cake, drivers is PITA. Not difficult, just time consuming and little room to move. I had to cut my wrech in half and the 'shorter version' worked like a charm. If you have a set of stubby wrenches you would probably not need to go cutting.

FYI I have a sensor if you are interested. I replaced both (ecs for around $450) but only one was bad. I still have the other. Let me know if you are interested and what side you need then I can confirm which one I have. $75 shipped obo). They are both the same, but takes more work if you use left on right or vice versa.

Not sure if you need this, but here is the egt test procedures
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5/Bentley_Audi_A6_C5_EGT_Testing.pdf

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 07-16-2013, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the input I think im leaning towards splicing the good egt sensor to both modules for the time being. Ill post an update once its done.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just got my scanner today and it says I have no error codes but the car is running in limp mode and I was told it had a bad egt sensor. Is there another way to check the EGT sensors? thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got my scanner today and it says I have no error codes but the car is running in limp mode and I was told it had a bad egt sensor. Is there another way to check the EGT sensors? thanks
intermitent faults don't always trigger a code .. depends on the scan tool your using it may need to be static

-- static faults are 100% of the time

What type of scan tool are you using? Try clearing faults + unplugging ur EGT's and see if there is a noticable difference. If no difference when unplugged, they are likely bad.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just bought a v-checker pro (I dont have a laptop so couldn't get vag-com) but I can try and scan it on my friends Vag-com if that would make a difference. Ill try scanning it with the EGT unplugged tomorrow and see what the difference is. Thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just bought a v-checker pro (I dont have a laptop so couldn't get vag-com) but I can try and scan it on my friends Vag-com if that would make a difference. Ill try scanning it with the EGT unplugged tomorrow and see what the difference is. Thanks

I don't know about those scantools.. I've always used vag-com and vaspc/odis (audi specialty diagnostic tools)... Honestly, your best bet is to unplug your egt's and see if your car runs any differently...

But first -- you need to reset your cars computer in order to escape limp mode -- there are several ways to do this (the easiest being using a scan tool..) but the best is remove your battery cables and let the car sit overnight, replug in the morning, turn ignition on and let sit 5 mins (for throttle body adaption etc), then start car and it should have everything cleared -- at this point unplug ur EGT sensors (right behind your MAF to the right a bit, a black and a red box) test drive the car 5-10 miles and see how it is, after this plug your egt's back in and repeat test drive (if it is worse with them plugged in, they are clearly your issue)
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

perhaps you could try this

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2850845