S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

HID kit for 01 S4... Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID kit for 01 S4... Suggestions?

I ordered a kit off the bay and as usual it does not fit. Had anyone done this and can you refer a kit that works and fits?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is for my fog lights... Sorry I forgot to write that
Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I doubt anything aftermarket is gonna fit. since the ballasts are different size than the oem one.It all depends which bulbs your have in your car.I believe s4 uses d2s bulbs IIRC.Im running factory setup so I cant say for sure but I do have a ddmtuning hid kit in my bike I cant say anything bad about it i'm very happy with it.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Good luck...

Originally Posted by Vailshred
This is for my fog lights... Sorry I forgot to write that
He's talking about his fog light housings. Other's have done the conversion, but it's not a simple task, being the fact that the bulbs simply do not fit. There's some cutting and grinding involved to get the bulb to sit properly. They then run the plug wires through the original plug and hook up the ballast on the outside end. Then from there it's all about mounting the ballast somewhere above in the bumper.

I thought about doing this to have the same color temp light as the Xenon headlights, but many have been concerned about the heat generated within the tiny fog light housing. Food for thought... Search it, you'll find the ones I'm talking about.

Chris

Seems more work and way more risk than it's worth. just my .02
If you really wanna do it.. get a second set of housings to try it, if it doesn't melt while sitting at a light or during the summer... SCORE!!!! hahah That's what I'm about to do soon.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Easy job.Done it on my brothers b6 a4. no biggie.Just gotta get the right bulbs.Any yeah you might have to modify the housing connector or drill a hole in the connector.Depends on the housing.Its a good idea to drill a pin size hole somewhere on the fog housing to let the hot air escape the fog otherwise you might have the lens crack or even break seen people do it the bootleg way nad have issue down the road either crakcing lenses or melting the whole unit due to the extra heat.

Originally Posted by Vailshred
I ordered a kit off the bay and as usual it does not fit. Had anyone done this and can you refer a kit that works and fits?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Chris's S4
He's talking about his fog light housings. Other's have done the conversion, but it's not a simple task, being the fact that the bulbs simply do not fit. There's some cutting and grinding involved to get the bulb to sit properly. They then run the plug wires through the original plug and hook up the ballast on the outside end. Then from there it's all about mounting the ballast somewhere above in the bumper.

I thought about doing this to have the same color temp light as the Xenon headlights, but many have been concerned about the heat generated within the tiny fog light housing. Food for thought... Search it, you'll find the ones I'm talking about.

Chris

Seems more work and way more risk than it's worth. just my .02
If you really wanna do it.. get a second set of housings to try it, if it doesn't melt while sitting at a light or during the summer... SCORE!!!! hahah That's what I'm about to do soon.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Actually...

Originally Posted by EuroXS4
Easy job.Done it on my brothers b6 a4. no biggie.Just gotta get the right bulbs.Any yeah you might have to modify the housing connector or drill a hole in the connector.Depends on the housing.Its a good idea to drill a pin size hole somewhere on the fog housing to let the hot air escape the fog otherwise you might have the lens crack or even break seen people do it the bootleg way nad have issue down the road either crakcing lenses or melting the whole unit due to the extra heat.
the housing already has vent holes, drilling into the housing would only complicate things when it rains and water then floods your fog light and pops a fuse. Plus Xenon bulbs are quite long, so you'd have to modify it sit further back properly so it still illuminates straight ahead and not off to the side. But then again, Xenon bulbs and wires are sealed... hmm... guess it wouldn't be that bad. I just don't like the part of gouging the seat of the bulb for it to fit, seems like it jeopardizes the whole idea.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chris's S4
the housing already has vent holes, drilling into the housing would only complicate things when it rains and water then floods your fog light and pops a fuse. Plus Xenon bulbs are quite long, so you'd have to modify it sit further back properly so it still illuminates straight ahead and not off to the side. But then again, Xenon bulbs and wires are sealed... hmm... guess it wouldn't be that bad. I just don't like the part of gouging the seat of the bulb for it to fit, seems like it jeopardizes the whole idea.

As i Said I was asked to do it on my brothers car.I dont remember modifying the bulb at all but then again its a b6 different housing.Me personally its the **** doesnt come with hid in the fogs stock then why turn the car into a damn christmas tree that its not??
Old 05-08-2011, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EuroXS4
As i Said I was asked to do it on my brothers car.I dont remember modifying the bulb at all but then again its a b6 different housing.Me personally its the **** doesnt come with hid in the fogs stock then why turn the car into a damn christmas tree that its not??
LOL true....