S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

How do I adjust rebound on Tracksports?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I adjust rebound on Tracksports?

Im assuming a hex/allen key? I cant seem to find anything in archives.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:18 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Front or rear?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 AM

both
Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Are they already installed on the car or are they sitting on a bench right now?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:23 AM

On the car for 2 years-rears have frame drilled for access
Old 04-03-2007, 08:26 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Instructions...(edited with comments about modifying the car to allow access)

Front:
Turn the **** inside the top of the piston fully clockwise (if you're looking down on the top of the piston). That will set it to full soft. Then begin turning it counterclockwise to firm it up until you've reached your desired rebound setting. Index your starting point and ending point, so you have a record of where you're setting it each time. It's a trial and error thing to get it set exactly where you like it.

If you haven't drilled holes in the engine bay to allow access to the top of the piston, you'll need to remove the shock, and drill through the aluminum hat that covers the top of the shock and spring assembly, and also through the unibody of the car into the engine bay. You want to be careful that you drill the hold so it is inline with the shock piston. If you don't, you won't be able to access the adjuster easily. You also want to be careful not to drill through brake lines or AC lines in the engine bay! Use a stepped drill bit to drill out the hole to 9/16" wide all the way through.

Rear: Slip a small allen key into the tiny slot in the upper shock mount. You'll see little notches in the shaft recessed in there. Put the allen key into one of the notches, and sweep the allen key from right to left. Continue sweeping until you hit a hard stop. You're now at full soft. Then start to sweep the allen key from left to right as you firm up the shock. About 3.5 sweeps is a good starting point.

If you haven't already done so, you'll need to line up the shock next to the stamped steel housing the upper part of the shock bolts to. Mark your cut lines on the steel housing so you can cut out a window that lines up with the adjustment mechanism on the shock. Cut away the windown, prime it, and you're done.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:31 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default BTW, if you cut off the end on a long thin screwdriver...

and then slice a little notch into the end so that it can engage the adjustment **** on the top of the piston, it makes a great adjustment tool!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Instructions...

You rock-thanks!, Lefty-tighty - thats weird.

Im assuming the key I got from my installer is used to adjust the fronts?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yes.

Stasis sells an adjustment tool...but it's only for the fronts. Rears will require a small allen key. Don't use the allen keys with the rounded ball head at the end! Those types of keys neck down just before the ball head, making an already thin piece of metal that much thinner. You don't want that key snapping inside the adjuster and getting stuck there...that would suck. A plain jane allen key should work...largest one that will fit. I can't remember, but I think it's a 2 or 2.5mm key. Try a couple to see which is the largest key you can fit into the adjuster.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2.5mm for the rear.

Quick Reply: How do I adjust rebound on Tracksports?