S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I am looking for an S4 and I need a little help plz

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my Stage I (MTM) 2000 S4 a year and a half ago for just under $8k!
Performs just like Chris described.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by conall
I got my Stage I (MTM) 2000 S4 a year and a half ago for just under $8k!
Performs just like Chris described.
Ahhhhh this is makin me crazy!!!! Haha I want to get one sooo bad!
Wen u got it was it already stage one?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, and already with the upgraded diverter valves as well.
Since then I've installed a Kevlar racing clutch and RS4 intercoolers.

Be careful with your purchase and get to know some of the potential problems with these cars.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=13109387

Last edited by conall; 05-01-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Every one always says "those cars have alot of problems" wel all cars have problems, but has YOUR car had alot of problems?
And I looked at that post you put up, TURBO FAILURE?!?!? That does not sound good, have you ever raced a Z28?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Seriously!!!

Originally Posted by Username510
Every one always says "those cars have alot of problems" wel all cars have problems, but has YOUR car had alot of problems?
And I looked at that post you put up, TURBO FAILURE?!?!? That does not sound good, have you ever raced a Z28?
All cars DO have their own problems, naturally. Yes of course these cars do have problems as well, hence why the car companies keep coming out with new cars every year. They should do it once every two or five years instead... be a whole lot less of cars that are all the same and just physically on the roads... but away with that.

yea these do have problems, I just like many have said here over the many years that this car if maintained correctly, isn't a problem at all. Simple preventative maintenance will keep this car running probably forever. Rememeber how I said in another thread, my Honda accord 92, has been running with over 450k miles on it, still with original motor and trans. Simple maintenance, and it'll last you a life time. That car has been quite good to be. I'm sure my S4, will do the same.

Drive the car if you can, listen to all kinds of noises, listen to the turbo's above all. If the guy's is rattling his mouth off about how great the car is... ask him.. or tell him... to pipe down so you can listen. Most ppl like to rattle off a bunch of crap just as your looking around and noticing the problems, they panic and rattle off stuff to say to distract you from checking the car out thoroughly.

Just keep your eyes and ears open, there's plenty of info here and on google as far as pdf's files (I may have them) that tell you specifically what to look for on the S4. Maybe not everything, but definitely more than you could come up with on you own while looking at a car your drooling over and your minds no where near you other than thinking about how bitchin it's gonna be driving down the frwy in this car. FOCUS!!!!!! hahahahah just pay attention, read, do loooootttts of reading, and inspect the car with a fine tooth comb as they say. lol

I only emphasize because I've dealt with many shady sellers who are dishonest because they simply just wanna get the car off their hands. Yes it sounds mean I speak of them that way, but I don't mean it that way, honestly. It's how they presented them selves with the shannagins they do when selling.

Seriously thou, I hope you get an awesome freaking car... can't tell ya enough. I love my S4 so much, it's truly amazing.

If and when you do get one.. Let me know, I really wanna see pics.

Good luck bro, oh and thanks and your welcome for earlier, I saw the post but seems like it's gone now. (maybe I missed it)

Chris

Last edited by Chris's S4; 05-01-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea I know ever car has problems it's annoying when ppl who abuse their car complain and say that "those cars have a lot of problems" I have a friend who goes to an automotive college so im going to bring him with me, and my fiends family owns 2 S4's (05 and 07 I think) so I'll ask him about a few things, hahahah I ink that is how I will be when I'm looking at the car, bt I'll take my time, and when I get one I'll post piks, I know I'll have it at stage 1 pretty quick, that's the first mod I want to do, can't wait!!!'
Old 05-01-2011, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I'm still on my original turbo's and over 130k miles.
One of the reasons I installed the RS4 intercoolers was to help extend the life of them.
I use full synthetic oil, Lucas oil stabilizer; and I don't run the car hard until the oil is at operating temperature.
Many B5 S4 owners here have more miles and over 200k miles on original turbo's.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Srry for all the questions I'm new at this haha, so an intercooler will help extend the life of the turbos? Does it matter what kinda gas you use?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Amazing...

Originally Posted by conall
Well, I'm still on my original turbo's and over 130k miles.
One of the reasons I installed the RS4 intercoolers was to help extend the life of them.
I use full synthetic oil, Lucas oil stabilizer; and I don't run the car hard until the oil is at operating temperature.
Many B5 S4 owners here have more miles and over 200k miles on original turbo's.
See now that's truly awesome. I just recently had my car flashed. so it's already at 158k miles. When I flashed it, it was at 157k ish... maybe lil less. So I have no idea where my turbo's stand as to the previous owner. As for me, I do the same as Conall, I let it warm up completely before driving hard or boosting to much.

I never go above 3k till it's up to temp, both coolant and oil. Funny how coolant heats up faster than the oil (normal), yet the oil cools down faster than the coolant when parked. I don't remember why.

I gotta look up what symptoms are present when a turbo is on it's way, or it's early stages of being on the way to dying.

I've noticed now with the stage 1, I hear them alot more... normal. But I wonder if it's maybe too much or it's just normal and their totally fine. I dunno... I'm super careful and only play when it's all warmed up and I don't do long stretch high speed runs. Just occasionally get on it for the awesome fun of it. I do love thou when someone pulls up along side and accelerates little by little (I guess trying go faster than me or beat me) and I do the same, up until they'll finally getting on it. I then let loose the S4's true power and leave them in an instance and stuck gazing at my tail lights. Then go back into chill mode. Done with speeding tickets lol... speed limit sounds just fine to me (occassionally), until the track days come, then it's ***** out! hahaha

Chris
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default it can...

Originally Posted by Username510
Srry for all the questions I'm new at this haha, so an intercooler will help extend the life of the turbos? Does it matter what kinda gas you use?
It helps keep the temps down.... I'm not sure how much but it helps. Hence the 3inch RS4 setup and massive inter-coolers.

I'd like to get the wider than stock inter-coolers (that's probably the RS4's), I like the idea of keeping the front end as stock looking than having that massive single inter-cooler. Never liked the look. Personal preference I suppose.

NO need to be sorry. I had all kinds of questions when I was around my buddy who has the S4 before me. He didn't(still doesn't) know much about it. Not technical stuff. So I came here... read and read and read. Any and all I could about the car. Problems, solutions, modifications, whether worth it or not... all kinds of stuff.

I truly believe and the more senior members here, may agree, but I believe that the more you can learn about your car, the better off you will forever be. In repairs, mods, even upgrades. For instance when there's a noise, you'll be able to pick up what it is without even ripping the car apart. That's how good I am with my 68' bug, and pretty much anything I have. I'm **** and very meticulous, it serves a purpose. And protects myself and the cars I have.

Many of you agree?

Chris

Quick Reply: I am looking for an S4 and I need a little help plz