S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I have to say, if the S4 comes in that yellow, it sure looks SHARP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-1999, 08:50 PM
Scott G

Default Re: Spent a week up close and behind the wheel of several S4's in Germany, so here is my take.

I spent a week last Fall at an Audi driving school at the Nurburgring. All of the instructors drove S4's. I had a whole week to look at and think about the colors. The Imola yellow is a very striking color in the flesh, personally I liked it better than the Nogaro. The blue just didn't look correct on the car. The yellow is very rich. A camera just can't do it any justice, you have to see it to appreciate it. The only colors of cars the instructors had was silver, imola yellow, and nogaro blue. I love the yellow but I don't think I could live with it every day. As for resale the Germans seem to love the bright colors. I saw Audi's in bright green, bright yellow, and a rainbow of other colors. If you lived in Germany I would say that resale would not be a problem, however in America it will be a much harder sell. If you even try to order an Imola yellow S4 from most U.S. dealers they would look at you funny and then make you put more money down, just in case.

As for the way the car drives, you will see soon enough. I got to drive one for 1/4 of a lap of the GP course (about 1 mile) down a hill, around a decreasing radius turn, through a slalom course, over a hill, and back down through an s-turn. This drive was way too short for my taste, but hey, at least Audi let us drive the cars after two full days of begging.

Then Audi let us take turns riding with a pro driver around the entire 174 turn, 15 mile Nurburgring course. At this point I had gone to car heaven. The course was wet due to rain through the whole event. This did not seem to slow us down one bit. While on the course we passed a Porsche 911 turbo and a BMW M5. Actually we blew the doors off of them. One of the Audi drivers said that they could easily lap the course quicker than a 911 turbo considering conditions. After the very fast ride in the S4 I actually had to come down from the experience, this one experience made the remaining four days in Germany a total bore. After that ride I knew nothing in the rest of the trip could top that, short of a near miss at 30,000 feet on the way home.

As soo as I got back I called my Audi guy and put my money down. The performance of the S4 is truly breathtaking. One ride and I was hooked. This car is going to blow your mind, you're going to love this car. I would call it a Porsche with four doors.
Old 08-30-1999, 02:57 PM
Everyday People

Well, the S4 is not your everyday car!
Old 08-30-1999, 10:02 PM
RocketJohn

Default my take on Imola Yella & why its pratical...

Pollen and dust... i can't imagine either showing up on a yellow car... and isn't that what drives owners of dark colored cars crazy?!?

time to fast forward through the Ferrari lines... 348? we are currently at 355 and the 360 is about to be released, all in a perfect fly yellow...

I thought about silver, cuz it shows the lines off nicely and german cars always look great in silver... but the 911 and SLK do look nice in yellow... I thought about Nogaro Blue, but I thought, "dang it sure looks like an offshoot of the original Blue Miata color..."

being a UT grad I would've considered the burnt orange metallic if they offered it... it looked great on the 96 A4 2.8 12v on the few that were made with it... very nice indeed...

one could go with Ronin Dark Green metallic, but how sporty is green anyway? I think Eddie Bauer when I think green... "not that there's anything wrong with that!" :P

One could get a black s4 but then its always dirty... the Santorin blue is too dark too... Pelican blue maybe... but one could grow tired of it...

A pearl S4 would be interesting... I think that would be my second choice after Imola... even though its a bit fem... its different and Audi has always carried that off nicely...

bright red would be very acceptable... I remember the very first A4 I ever saw was a red on black 96... very striking... very visible to coppers...

no, for me the yellow works... i repainted my 1990 Bridgestone MB1 Mtn Bike, 1989 Corvette Yellow, cuz it was such a damn fine yellow... I have always thought of yellow as a great sporting color... a color of confidence and sharpness...

Imola Yellow with dark tint 20/5% will not only exemplify how stealthy one can be, but it will continuously show all the non-yellow S4 owners what the best S4 color is! hehehe...

RocketJohn
can't wait to transition the wait of taking delivery to the wait of getting the first door ding! ouch!
Old 08-31-1999, 08:07 AM
Scott W

Default Colour is merely opinion, yellow no more boring than silver...however...(more)

if a car like this is available in "exclusive" colours, i.e. colours that are only for the S4, Imola Yellow & Nogaro Blue, it is only natural (IMO) to choose those colours to set them apart from the crowd. I have ordered Nogaro Blue, my second choice would be Imola Yellow. As far as resale goes, the only way to sell a car like an S4 and get your money out is to sell it to a fellow enthusiast. An enthusiast, for the most part, will have an appreciation for a colour such as these two above. In addition to this, especially with the Nogaro blue, the interior is designed to match the exterior (w/alcantara option). Boy racerish - maybe, will you get bored of it - no more than silver, black etc.
Old 08-31-1999, 03:55 PM
mpm

Default You know guys, not for nutten but sounds aliddle bit like a justification...

Though, I 'gotta say those pixs from Monteray look good...

Hey, whadda we care for!!! These cars are beautiful in any color. I happy that your happy with your decissions - and I hear 'ya about the dings...