S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Instrument cluster LCD kind of working

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster LCD kind of working

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Yesterday evening, the LCD screen in between my speedo and tach stopped displaying info from the radio and info from the telematics stalk (mpg, average speed, etc).

The screen displays the "Apply foot brake" message like normal on startup, and also displays OK at the top of the screen. After that, the screen goes blank and all that displays are the selected gear on the bottom of the screen.

Here's a video to show:

I haven't had a chance to hook up VAG to it yet. Do you think this is a loose connector on the back of the speedo cluster, or something else?

I don't know if it's related, but I was using the app Torque on my Android phone, before the screen stopped working correctly. The car bucked pretty hard a couple times, and I immediately pulled/removed my BT OBDii adaptor. This has happened before while using Torque.

I don't know if that bucking jacked something up on the car, popped some wires loose, or fried something. I don't think it's a typical burned out LCD. The screen has already been replaced once on my car, and it displays correctly on startup (see Youtube video)

FYI - The airbag light on my dash is from when I (presumably) broke my clock spring when I replaced my heater core. The check engine light is for an O2 sensor that I need to replace.

My car is a stock 2002 B5 S4, 126k miles, tiptronic.

Another note: I had bought another Audi user's GIAC TipChip, and was running it for a couple months. Something happened and I think I friend that chip. The car would not shift out of 5th gear and the gear selector would not display on the dash LCD. I drove the car home in 5th gear, swapped out the TCM for my stock one, and I've been driving on that for the past week. No problems after switching back to the stock TCM.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did you accidentally turn if off? The button in on the bottom of the windshield wiper stalk.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you @GomerPyle for pointing this out!!! That's exactly what happened. I got this car in December and had no clue you could turn that off. It's back on and in working order. You saved me the hassle of ripping my dash apart trying to figure this out

I owe you a cold one