S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Insurance experiences anybody? (Actuaries please do *not* read)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 07:10 PM
AvramD

Default Insurance experiences anybody? (Actuaries please do *not* read)

Has anybody out there already gone through their upcoming S4 purchase with their insurance company yet? Especially anyone with a VIN?

I'm sure many other than me are afraid of the insurance cost of a twin turbo *anything*. My question is this: Since the car is so new, many insurance companies don't know what it is yet - do we have a chance to beat them to the punch and get a good rate before they've caught onto what the S4 is about?

What I did is tell them about the purchase, & have them load it onto my plan with an effective date of 15 Sep (which I can adjust if the car comes later than that). They didn't know what it was, so I just told them "it's a special edition A4". They said "ok" and based my rate strictly on the cost of the car.

I don't remember exactly what it was, but I believe it was no more than 50% more than the insurance on my '94 Honda del sol ($18,888 in '94, about $10k now).

Does anyone out their have any specific knowledge that would indicate whether my plan will fail? Do insurance companies re-evaluate VINs periodically so that if my VIN doesn't bring up a particulary make & model in their computer today, they may check again in 6 months and change my rate?

Does anyone out there have actual insurance rate info for S4s yet? I'll get my rates & post for comparison. Any relavent background that effects rates would be nice too. I'm 30, single, 1 ticket (kow), no accidents (kow), $100/$500 comp/coll deductible. I believe my insurance company does not know about the ticket (kow) b/c it was out of state.

p.s. kow = knock on wood
Old 09-07-1999, 07:19 PM
McScrooge

Default My limited experience

I called my insurance co to get quotes for an A4. They asked me if it was 1.8, 1.8 with turbo, 2.8, or 2.8 with turbo. Basically, they had no idea what products were actually offered. I had them bid a 2.8 with turbo, and it was only slightly more than my Infiniti. In other words, seemed to be based on price.

On the other hand, I'm an old married guy who has been with them for years. You young'uns might come under closer review.
Old 09-07-1999, 09:06 PM
Scott G

Default Re: This is what my brother the State Farm Insurance Agent told me.

I ask him if the hp and the turbos would up the premium and he said no. He told me price would be the determining factor in the cost to insure the S4. So take any other run of the mill $40,000 vehicle and it should be close.

Here are a few more reasons the S4 may not be too high insurance wise.

1) It has four doors.
2) Your average speed crazed teen to early 20 year old probably won't get their hands on too many of them.
3) Safety features out the butt.
4) It's an Audi.
5) It's German-Safety again. Safety is important because dead bodies cost insurance companies more than a bent cars.
6) The speed of this car is very low profile.
Old 09-08-1999, 07:48 AM
Drew

Default Re: Insurance experiences anybody? (Actuaries please do *not* read)

I live in Houston and currently own a '93 Mazda MX-6 LS. I just called with my S4 VIN to get an insurance quote. I didn't tell them anything about the car, just the VIN. When they found out I knew the VIN they didn't even ask, or seem to care about anything else about the car. I cary the maximum limits and very low deductibles on my current (and future) policy and thus my overall rates are not that low. However, with the same coverage I currently have, I was quoted a rate just $75.50 more per 6 months (seems very reasonable to me). Moreover they told me this rate is "guaranteed" in their system, and I just have to call them when I know I will be taking delivery of the car. I don't think you or I have done anything wrong, in fact I think I have been very upfront and honest. I don't expect and revisions or surprises, but I suppose anything is possible.