S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Intermittent Issues with 2001.5 S4 + Tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Issues with 2001.5 S4 + Tuning Questions

So this is my first post in these forums but I have been lurking/reading all around these forums for information on these cars.

I am not new to the car game as I've built a few motors myself and am coming into the VW world from Subaru.

So my Audi has a constant CEL on for O2 Sensors. It occasionally brings up codes for EGT and Knock Sensor as well as a Cylinder 3 Misfire that came up one day. I have spent the few months I've had the car observing its behavior quite closely and can sum it up as so: When the oil is cool/less than 175, I seem to have full power and can run the car around and enjoy it as I may. Mind you, I never rev it above 4 or 5 grand because I know it does have some issues. However, once that oil temp gets up to 200, which doesn't happen very often in my short commute, if I give the car 75% or more throttle it will begin to buck and not let the turbos spool.

My research has led me to believe this to be a common issue with the EGT sensors. However, from what I could tell in my readings on this website, most people had this all the time and not ONLY when the oil temps got up to usual operating temperatures. This has thrown me off in my diagnosis.

The other issue is that EGT sensors typically bring with them poor fuel economy. I average 27+ MPG on my way back from Houston a few weeks ago and continue to get better than average gas mileage in a vehicle with intermittent EGT codes and constant O2 codes.

My apologies if I have overlooked some common issue. I have spent a little time researching this issue on the forums and quite seem to find someone who is having issues quite like mine.

This brings me to another question. I am the kind of person who likes to make my cars faster/handle better/brake faster with the common type mods. You know, how most people follow the same upgrade path. That's about the kind of person I am. I was looking into a few different tuning packages and had seen some people mention how APR Stage 2 tunes out the O2 sensors. I then, in similar conversations, saw people mention some protuners will tune out but the O2 and EGT sensors since they are both such common issues on these cars.

My question is, as this information is tough to come by sometimes, is there anybody that does e-tunes, you know, through a laptop where I drive it and it is all done real time just, across the country, who is able to protune my S4 for a SSAC exhaust and gutted downpipes and tune out the O2 sensors and EGT sensors? If not, is there anybody fairly local to the Texas area who is able to do protunes on these vehicles? Everyone I have found just kind of does the ECU swapping and all that or the reflashes where you have to go to a dealer on newer VWs.

I do really appreciate any insight I can receive into my issues.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would like to clarify what my two questions are, as well as expand on the issue a bit.

A little more issue leads me to believe my EGT sensors may be beginning to go out as some people seem to have them slowly become worse and worse until it's a constant issue. So I would lean more towards I do actually have an EGT sensor that is going out.

My only real question, as of now, is is there a tuner out there who still does some of the tuning VAST used to do for the VW/Audi community? I plan to gut the downpipes, do a piggies mod, SSAC exhaust and get a tune. I would go with APR but I don't want to replace a sensor that will likely bite the dust again in the next few years.

My real question is bolded above. Again, sorry if I have overlooked something commonly searched/asked on here. As someone who is used to forums, I know how much this bothers everyone.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Your best bet for remote tuning would probably be European Performance Labs or Epic Tuning Group, 034Motorsport might also do a remote tune. If you're just interested in coding out the secondary o2 sensors and EGT sensors the process is not particularly difficult to DIY if you spend some time reading up at the Nefarious Motorsports website.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yea I did find the DIY coding out of the EGT sensors the other day which is something I plan to do. With that information in hand, there's a good chance I'll just go APR Stage 2 and code out the EGTs.

I'll shoot one of those companies a call, though, as I would greatly prefer a protune over an off the shelf tune.

I appreciate the response!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You will not be able to code out the EGT sensors if you buy an APR tune.