S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

IPT vs. LevelTen for Tip Mods?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPT vs. LevelTen for Tip Mods?

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out which shop I'm gonna be going to to do my tranny mods prior to do a Stage 3 upgrade, and I need some opinions.

Has anyone dealt with Import Performance Transmissions in New Jersey? Any problems? I know quite a few guys have gone to LevelTen for Tip TC's, but IPT has a TC mod and a valve body mod and I'm not sure what LevelTen has.

Any opinions?

Thanks guys.

JerseyJS4
Old 03-09-2008, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Old 03-09-2008, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

3Zero3
Old 03-09-2008, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Level Ten will do TC, valve body, TC + VB, or full rebuild

For TC: 3Zero3, 2Bennett, L10, IPT

For Valve Body or full rebuild: L10, IPT, 2Bennett

Depends on what you have in mind for your car - but recommend just doing TC, unless you have the budget

I had a full L10 rebuild recently and am very pleased with the results thus far
Old 03-09-2008, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Level Ten will do TC, valve body, TC + VB, or full rebuild

Thanks JW-
Hmmm, well, i guess I don't really need to do valve body now that I think about it.... I just figured since the tranny was gonna get worked on I would do it. I just don't wanna blow up the tranny with all the extra power. Do you think I'll make it by with just TC?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did IPT TC+VB, no problems.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

let us know I am in the same boat getting ready for a stg 3 build, I have my turbo's
Old 03-10-2008, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fundamentally yes, should be fine w/TC upgrade only...

assuming your transmission is presently in good working condition; but if you're going Stg 3 + aggressive custom tune w/ a race gas profile then I'd go with a full rebuild; especially if you're launching hard on a regular basis

If you call L10, IPT, 3zero3, etc and tell them your intentions for the car they'll give you more specific recommendations - expl: what stall speed to consider.

Your fortunate that you have two good transmission shops in L10 and IPT. IMHO, if you choose one of them for a TC you have better options for later should you choose to add a valve body or a full rebuild - just MO. Whichever you choose, stick with one company to minimize the variables...and potential headaches. IOW, if you get a 3zero3 TC and go with an IPT valve body and later encounter some trouble it may be more difficult to sort out...

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Trans. shop said the same....

Word back from L10 is that he recommends holding on the trans. work until I can do a full rebuild since I already have 84500 miles on the trans (and more importantly the clutch packs). I don't really do too many hard launches (I'm bigger into autocrossing and whatnot-SCCA style; there I see no need for hard launches as long as you don't suck around turns )

But I'm pretty convinced his advice is correct, with my limited knowledge of transmissions and how they fail. So unless somebody has a pretty convincing argument, I will NOT be doing any tranny work for now and instead will do all of the Engine work. As far as tuning goes, I'm hoping GIAC can provide me with a low-boost program (somewhere around 1 bar or maybe even a little less) to use until I do the trans. work and a 93 octane performance program for after I do the rebuild. *sigh* So what's that... a stage 3 double minus?? A stage 2++?? Heh... Damn.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default GIAC threw AWE makes a stg 3- that is the way I am thinking about untill

I can get full fuel kit and see how long my TIP holds aout with just a TC upgrade when the KO4 go on soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IPT vs. LevelTen for Tip Mods?