S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Looking for Mechanic Referral in SF Bay Area for Transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Mechanic Referral in SF Bay Area for Transmission Rebuild

Hello everyone! I am the proud owner of a 2001 Imola Yellow S4 Avant with a 6sp manual transmission. I'm having the proverbial third gear grinding noise that just started (car is at a little over 100K miles) and am looking for referrals on getting a transmission rebuild (current mechanic has isolated the issue, but does not do transmission rebuilds). I would love to hear of anyone that could help me out with this, with a preference for shops on the peninsula or in the south bay area.

Also, I am assuming that it would be cheaper to do a rebuild instead of simply purchasing an already rebuilt transmission and having it bolted in. If anyone has some guidance on this point, I'd be happy to hear it as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you find one? Shoot me a note if not.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Santa Cruz mechanic

Not sure if Specialized auto in Santa Cruz does the transmission rebuild but they are a great shop. I take my exact car there without worries.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4lawyer
Hello everyone! I am the proud owner of a 2001 Imola Yellow S4 Avant with a 6sp manual transmission. I'm having the proverbial third gear grinding noise that just started (car is at a little over 100K miles) and am looking for referrals on getting a transmission rebuild (current mechanic has isolated the issue, but does not do transmission rebuilds). I would love to hear of anyone that could help me out with this, with a preference for shops on the peninsula or in the south bay area.

Also, I am assuming that it would be cheaper to do a rebuild instead of simply purchasing an already rebuilt transmission and having it bolted in. If anyone has some guidance on this point, I'd be happy to hear it as well.

Thanks in advance!
I know it is a bit further but try JH Motorsports in Lathrop for transmission rebuilds. They have some experts that have done over 100 rebuilds and you can upgrade your 6th gear to become a 30+mpg sleeper while still pulling under 5 sec. 0-60 times, stage 3 of course.
I found out what not to do by going to EuroCode down in southern CA and got ripped off. Rebuild had a bad 2nd and 4th gear and Dave would not fully refund. Wasted 30+ hours of remove and install time to repair his bad work. Good Luck to you!

www.jhmotorsports.com