S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Low Pressure Oil Light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Pressure Oil Light on

Can anyone tell me if where is the low Oil Pressure light is located? I looked all over the bentley and it doesn't say. I'm wondering if I can pull it and clean it or replace it.

I'm going to try Seafoam also but wanted to know location as last resort.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Low oil pressure light is located in the instrument cluster.The low oil pressure switch is a different story.

The oil pressure sensor is near the oil pump housing towards the back of the block. If you crawl under the car from the front and look for the sway bar you will be very close to it. It has a white wire in a black loose fitting casing going to it. It is a little tricky to see so have some good light. Let me know if this helps. The sensor that is on the oil pan is for oil temp and oil level and from what I have read do not get anything other than the oem hella unit.

Cleaning the oil pressure sensor will not make the light go away.You need to check oil level and check that you have sufficient oil pressure.It is possible oil has gotten all over the connection for the low oil pressure switch.But you need to check oil pressure to rule out wether you have a bad senor is is there a problem with the oil pump pick up tube or worse sludge in the engine.
Originally Posted by evilEE
Can anyone tell me if where is the low Oil Pressure light is located? I looked all over the bentley and it doesn't say. I'm wondering if I can pull it and clean it or replace it.

I'm going to try Seafoam also but wanted to know location as last resort.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, I'll take a look. The car runs fine so I don't think its oil pressure. But I'm only saying that becuase I didn't crack the motor open, I just pulled it and reinstalled it to do rear Seal plate replacement.