S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

M3 v. S4, buying contemplation, not a competition.... more

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-1999, 03:08 PM
crees

Default M3 v. S4, buying contemplation, not a competition.... more

my 97 1.8T was just totaled, and i think i'm going to move up one step in cars. I really liked my A4, and am now considering either a new S4 or a M3 (probably used). Now i know that the S4 has 6 gears and can be upgraded for better power, but what i'm interested in is handeling. My previous A4 had H&R coilovers and Nexus tires, and i was still somewhat dissapointed in its handeling capabilities. It pushed through tuns, and the ride was way to plush, suspension didnt' feel tight enough, and too much body sway. Now i don't think i'll be doing anything to the M3 or the S4, so which do you think will meet my handeling desires. I heard that the S4 isn't as tight as the m3 in handeling. my 1.8t had a MTM chip, and i was happy, i think that both the cars will satisfy all my power desires. excuse any ignorance, i wasn't planing to get either of these until a few days ago.
Old 09-08-1999, 03:44 PM
ELITE M3

Default Kind of hard to do since not too many have an S4 yet...(more)

Since not too many people have the S4 yet, it is kind of hard to compare. I have, however, sat in the new s4. It is luxurious, yet not too much room for the rear passengers. I have heard/read the same about the suspension. I recently purchased a 99 M3 and must say that every day that I get in it, I say how much I love it to myself. So I am a bit biased, but after sitting in the S4, I can say that if you are a skinny person (small ***) you are going to float on the seats. There is not much lateral support, but I am sure that the power is in the driveing. Your best bet is to test drive each car and make a decision at that point. But one thing to remember is that the M3 went out of production in march of 99, so 99 are in limited quantities. Good luck.
Old 09-08-1999, 05:02 PM
Steve S.

Default H&R is sorta test marketing a new stiffer coilover for the A4/S4

In case you didn't know...Roland at H&R has been working with Germany on coming up with a new stiffer coilover for the rowdy A4 crowd. They still offer the softer one..but they are kinda test marketing (for lack of a better phrase) a new stiff coilover. I have a set that I have not installed on my car yet. In addition, sway bars will definitely decrease the amount of lean in turns. Yes, the S4 is softer than the M3...but this can be rectified, IMHO, relatively easily.
I too like M3s...but I like quattro more. :-)

Steve S.
97 2.8QM (with lots-o-mods)
00 S4 (feb 2000)
Old 09-08-1999, 05:45 PM
Dennis

Default Re: M3 v. S4, buying contemplation, not a competition.... more

If handling is your only concern, I'd go with the M3. Nothing beats a car with 50/50 weight distribution. Road & Track recently tested the S4 and found there was "heavy understeer". Personally, I'd take quattro anyday over 2WD.
Old 09-08-1999, 05:49 PM
Mike Zamarocy

Default Try a C5 Vette Hardtop then . . . .

If you want handling and power, the C5 Vette has it all! Plus, the Hardtop is lighter, stiffer, has the race Z51 suspension, add their traction control goodies, and REPLACE those run flat tires, and you have a killer car that can beat the Gen 3 RX7's (in SS Class), and outdrag nearly any other STOCK car. If I don't get an S4, then the C5 is my next choice (or first choice???). And it is about the same price range as an S4 too. But now if I had the bucks, and could WAIT 2 years (they are nearly PRE-SOLD for that time already!), then a Boxster S would be for me.
Old 09-08-1999, 05:52 PM
Marcus Frost

C&D or Road&Track also rated the S4 ABOVE the M3 in light of "oversteer" - just food for though.
Old 09-08-1999, 06:05 PM
johnj

Default Re: M3 v. S4, buying contemplation, not a competition.... more

Something to think about- WHY was the A4Q banned from BTCC? If this this is beyond you then ....
Old 09-08-1999, 06:10 PM
ttt

Hold out for the new M3 next summer if you have an extra car
Old 09-08-1999, 06:23 PM
PeteW

Default Drove the M Roadster, let me tell you, that is a machine, absolute machine! (wow)

NT
Old 09-08-1999, 06:49 PM
Dennis

Default Re: Try a C5 Vette Hardtop then . . . .

That was my exact dilemma. Practical car (S4) vs. completely unpractical car that would only get driven to & from work since I have a 4 month old now who can't go in the passenger seat because of the airbag, and my wife obviously can't go anywhere with me without our son. My decision was made for me this past weekend when I saw a Millenium yellow C5. That is one sweet colour on the C5. I just bought an A4 last year so that can be the babymobile. I cancelled my S4 order and will soon be ordering the Vette. I'm still very anxious to see the S4's though, especially the Nogaro blue one I ordered. I'm sure part of me will still wish I didn't cancel. Too bad I can't afford both!

Quick Reply: M3 v. S4, buying contemplation, not a competition.... more