S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Meth/Water -> ECU tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meth/Water -> ECU tuning question

Won't say a lot! Simply to the point~!

My question here is~

Is it going to be okay with current ECU when installing Meth/Water?
or
Is it must? to tune the ECU when installing Meth/Water?

My s4 is VAST stg3-.
Family car and my family members use it whenever Im not.
Can't trust them on filling up the Meth everytime when the light comes on.
Iv done STFA for a long time(Iv been reading the related posts for years) no clear answer.

My car isn't a racing car and it will never be but Im thinking about going up to full Stg3.

What would you say? should I tune ECU when I go with Meth/Water? or should I not?

Im just worry about the engine when it is tuned for meth and a driver never fills in when its low.

Is it going to hurt our AUDI engine in long run if I don't tune ECU when Meth is in operation mode???

Thank you guys~!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if I were you, I would get one of the 2.5 gallon tanks mounted in the trunk... Depending on how hard you drive your car, the meth could last anywhere from 2-4 tanks of gas. Then just make sure you fill it whenever YOU are driving the car.
If you don't tune for meth, you will be running a little rich when you get into boost. If you tune for meth and don't have any, you will run lean. Neither of these is a desireable situation. If this will pose a problem, perhaps meth is not a good idea for you.
If you are set on getting meth, then I will say, you will be safer being a little rich than lean, so in that case, I will say to run it with no tune.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

get a meth tune and take your keys with you when youre not driving the car. if they cant be trusted to fill the meth tank they cant be trusted with the car imho
Old 06-16-2011, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I doubt most people drive their family cars like the people who sink money into modding them. How often are your family members going WOT in a Stg3 S4? I could go a couple of months without needing to fill the washer reservoir which is my W/M injection tank as well as windshield washer source. Driving style is going to play a huge part in time between fill ups.

Having W/M injecting and not being tuned for it isn't going to hurt anything, and should help keep intake air temperatures down slightly. You could use a smaller nozzle size and a higher boost activation point to limit the W/M injection frequency and volume.

Having the car tuned for W/M isn't an all or nothing arrangement, you can have a very mild tune, a few extra degrees of timing, slightly leaner mixture, and see a small performance bump, yet if the system runs dry the ECU is able to compensate. I used a mild W/M tune and logged the car without the W/M injecting and the performance dropped, but nothing alarming showing up like high KV, a lot of timing retard, or high EGT's.

If you use the washer reservoir whoever is driving is going to get the low fluid level alert.

If you're going to install the system but run it so mildly what's the point? Don't bother having the system if you can't take advantage of it.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jordonb
I think if I were you, I would get one of the 2.5 gallon tanks mounted in the trunk... Depending on how hard you drive your car, the meth could last anywhere from 2-4 tanks of gas. Then just make sure you fill it whenever YOU are driving the car.
If you don't tune for meth, you will be running a little rich when you get into boost. If you tune for meth and don't have any, you will run lean. Neither of these is a desireable situation. If this will pose a problem, perhaps meth is not a good idea for you.
If you are set on getting meth, then I will say, you will be safer being a little rich than lean, so in that case, I will say to run it with no tune.
hey thanks for your valuable opinion!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

james and flyboy thank you all i can see which path I have to take

I will have to talk to VAST now..
Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

@ jordan - your rims are bad ***!!

Last edited by S4biturbo1; 06-17-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...d-Tune-SPECIAL

Offers water meth kits of much better quality then vasts and tuning as well. All for a fraction of the cost.