S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

More info on DIY solid-state blinker relay

Old 02-09-2013, 04:01 PM
MCL
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More info on DIY solid-state blinker relay

All,

Please reply and/or PM me if you have attempted, or had any success any either modding the OEM flasher, or replacing the OEM with an aftermarket LED/solid-state flasher.

I'm curious as to what arrangement anyone has used, as I said previously, I am seeing just as many ways to do it, as I can imagine, which leaves me to believe that very few people have done this successfully...

I understand the electronics behind it, but as to integrating specifically with the S4/B5 - I would like to understand a little better a few things...

1) What causes the 'brake light' bulb-out indicator. Does it read a signal off the flasher module?
2) Can anyone help with a schematic, or a drawing to help with the connectivity of what is +12V, what is GND, what is the turn-signal trigger (Left and Right - or is it the same trigger lead - just high/low voltage?)...I think you get the idea, any help would be appreciated.
3) I have pulled the relay to pieces, and am likely to mess around with it to see if there's a *SIMPLE* mod to allow it to operate in a *HYBRID* state of mechanical/solid-state to help not perform hyper-flash and/or the bulb-out indicator (brake light).
4) Does anyone have a link to any work done in any of the forums around this? Perhaps any of the current, or previous Audi's use LEDs (and solid-state relays) that I could potentially cannibalize to use?

Thanks in avance!
-Edwin
Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 PM
MCL
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Progress #1

Got the Bentley manual working, although it's not very good (strike that) any good at telling me what wires are what leading to/from the plug in the back of the hazard/TS relay.

Does anyone have that information - perhaps what is supposed to connect to what? (ie. Left TS signalled - pins #3 and #5 connect to ground #5 and signal a left hand turn, etc). My problem is I dont have several relays to trash, and I would like to try to understand it further before just connecting wires/here there...

Anyone...Bueller? Apologies if this is the wrong form - 0 replies - I figured it might rate at least one. Is there any other forum on AW that is where this should be posted now? I was registered on here way back, when all there was was S4/B5 and the thing was getting JDM parts for the RS4 version...but it seems to have changed a little bit.

Is there a forum where all the DIY electronics/otherwise folks hang out - that are into figuring out how stuff works, supposed to work, DIY'ing our cars instead of purchasing DICE iPod inputs for $200, for what I could theoretically wire a few chips together for, and get RDS, and a pretty good signal.

Don't get me wrong - I APPRECIATE the work that's been done, I just would like to continue in that tradition...any pointers, I'm glad to change sandboxes...

Many thanks!
Cheers,
-Edwin
Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default here's an option.

try this forum: http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumd...B5-S4-RS4-Tech

Good luck with it. No offense to Audi World, but things can be kinda slow over here.

Cheers!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 PM
MCL
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Partial success/progress...

Originally Posted by heavy winter
try this forum: http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumd...B5-S4-RS4-Tech

Good luck with it. No offense to Audi World, but things can be kinda slow over here.

Cheers!

Thanks for the pointer, I have experimented a good deal, and many google searches later...I have *FIXED* the Hyper-Blink problem - so that's good! I have wanted a 'Komfort blinker' for a while, so I might do that mod - and see if it happens to bypass my issues with the turn-signal, but in the meantime this is where I'm at...

FWIW - there is a 8-pin SOIC (surface mount IC) on the Turn-Signal/Hazard Relay - on the driver's side, labeled 'U6043B' - it is a flasher timing relay - AND - if you cut pin#7 (it is pins 1-4 on the outside of the circuit from left-right, and then above 5-8 from right-left - it *WILL* take care of the hyper-blink issue - HOWEVER - it makes the hazard relay non-functional - now I'm working on that. Previously, the hyper-blink was turn-signal only, and the hazards worked fine - now the hazards are 'hyper-hyper-blink' (buzz really - and the lights just stay on since there is no 'off time' - so I have to figure that one out as well.

The 'cut pin#7' of the IC is all over the net/instructions with different cars for the U6043 series of SOIC, however, most of them have a single TS relay - that is not part of the hazard relay - so cutting the pin fixes the turn signal, and doesn't sound like it affects the hazards.

Now I have to figure that one out, anyone? Any ideas - I'm sure it's got to do with the 'other' IC on the board as well - but I can't find any details/data sheets on that one yet.

(orient the relay assembly with the plug connected on the left, and the switch on the right, with the writing for the SOIC (the U6043 one) oriented the correct way (right-side-up)).

-------
Txxx (where xxx is some code - really doesn't matter)
U6043B
-------

Thank you!
-Edwin
Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
MCL
Audiworld Junior Member

Default WORKS! (MOSTLY) - doesn't fix 'Brake Light Out' in console MFD

FIRST (I don't know if cutting this pin will cause any long-term damage, or overheat anything, you do this at your own risk. I have done this, or variations of for many months, with no thermal problems, or any problems at all, in terms of fuses blowing, components lifespans getting less, etc - so it worked for me so far, YMMV)...

Okay, here's the deal (in short)...

First of all, it works (mostly), the only thing I have left to solve is the 'Brake Light' warning in the console, which I'm not quite sure how to do at this point, but it seems unrelated to the TS/HZ relay, as w/ or w/o the relay installed, I still get the 'brake light' out indicator...

If you want to do this, it works (at least from the perspective of turn-signals, and hazard lights)...

Here's the DIY:

1.) Pop off the trim to the upholder/rear fogs/hazard switch at the top of the console - howto's/DIY's already exist on the archives, I don't need to repeat here - other than to laugh about the urban myth that you break a clip every time you pull the trim, so keep the hot glue gun close

2.) Pull the hazard relay/turn-signal relay piece from the dash, and unplug it from the wiring harness.

3.) Orient the relay/circuit-board with the plug side to the Left, and the hazard switch to the right - so you can read the SOIC/IC writing the correct way up. Essentially the bottom of the board is the circuit for the turn-signal, and the top of the board is the circuit for the hazard relay. It's not exactly that simple, but it's close.

4.) The key piece is the U6043B chip on the lower part of the relay (driver side/half) as installed in the dash. The chip is wired/pinned counter clockwise starting on the left bottom side, 1-4 on the bottom from left to right, and 5-8 on the top going right to left. PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY PIN YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT IS PIN #7. This is the pin that controls if the circuit sees the voltage too high on this input, it senses one or more of the blinkers/running lights has gone out. There are a few formulas (in the chip data-sheets, but they depend on how many LEDs/what resistances/etc - so it's particular to your setup - this fix doesn't care - just cut the pin!), if you would like to calculate the correct resistor to replace the connection with, but almost all the DIY's on the net just have you cut the pin (pin #7), this effectively eliminates the bulb-outage 'hyper-blink' function of the chip/IC.

5. Plug it back into the dash and test before re-assembling, make sure the turn signals work as expected, individually, and the hazards work, test everything else you want...

6. Re-assemble, re-install (reverse of de-install/de-assemble...enjoy working turn-signals and hazard relays again

Good luck.

-E

P.S. - IF anyone KNOWS how to fix the 'brake light' out MFD indicator warning (happens the first time I step on the brake pedal after ignition on), please let me know - I have STFA, and still no joy...happy to hear...TIA!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You should cut nothing.

I have a S4/B5 and I modded the flasher unit for Cree LEDs bulbs.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=1#post9127962
Old 10-07-2013, 01:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And for other bulbs (brake, position,headlights), please read:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...control-module