S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Muscle Car Guy Interested in an S4 - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muscle Car Guy Interested in an S4 - Help!

Hey guys,

Let me start off by saying I hope we can all look past the fact that I own a Trans Am (lol) and some of you can help me out here.

I've had my T/A for a year and a half.. and I'm just getting sick of the bumpy ride, and it feeling like I'm gonna blow the damn motor. Lately I've been interested in BMW's and Audi's, 3 series and S4's especially. I was just looking for some guidance on B5's. I just need some advice for shopping around.. What to look out for, what to check, etc. Should I be worried about a high mileage S4? What would need to be replaced, stuff like that.

What years are the B5's? Were there any changes throughout the model years? any info as far as that goes would be much appreciated as well. Power, reliability, handling, all this stuff i'm curious about. Also wondering what it would take (modifications wise) to really make it a little beast.

I'd be coming from a 500 crank HP muscle car.. so it'll be a big change. Just need some help. Also I'm around the $13k price range.

Thank you guys.
-jigsaw
Old 12-03-2009, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

First of all, good choice and welcome to the winning team. Second, you will find all of the info you need in the archives and in existing posts. Just use the search function - it is actually pretty good at finding relevant information.

The B5s are 2000-2002 and there were a few changes from year to year. Particularly the 2000 models have a few quirks that were resolved in later years, but on the whole the car did not change much.

Also, with 13k to spend I would suggest you go ahead an try to find a Stage3 S4 (a search will explain). There are several for sale right now by forum members.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. So if the 2000's had some quirks, would it be better to look for an '02?

Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Most of the quirks in the 2000 and 2001 models can be easily corrected with the right parts. The address I pasted below should help as a general noobie guide: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=13109387

There's a lot of technology built into these cars which can make repairs costly, but if you're looking for a sleeper with luxury then I think a B5 S4 is a great choice. I couldn't be happier with my S4.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a '70 Monte Carlo SS454 running high 12's on street tires and pump gas.
I LOVE my B5 S4! Fast and it TURNS! Not for the weak at heart or the mechanically challenged. All the **** is much tighter and much more difficult to work on but what a reward!
You have a lot of cash for a B5 (as mentioned). I would be patient and find a well sorted Stage 3 car (also as mentioned). A Stage 3 car will rip and handle like a dream.
Careful. Audi quattro is religion and it is addictive. BMW's be damned. A B5 S4 is the cat's ***. Go to www.mrctuning.com and watch the video on the home page. Then contact me (or any loon on the list) for some tips.
Freaking awesome daily car.
Cheers,
Dave
old fart - still plays with cars...
Old 12-05-2009, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

for 13k you can find a good stage 3 s4, and trust me you will be VERY surprised the power it makes. a strong stage 3 makes around 380awhp on pump, and one on meth, race or e85 can go up to 450awhp+ that will run 11's. To me the s4 is all you can ask for very smooth ride, sleeper, great power, tons of potential, quattro, and luxary. Of course there are down sides the car and the biggest drawback is maintance it is pretty expensive and if your bringing it to a shop to have done it even more, doing your own work is a big plus on this car. This is why going for a stage 3 s4 with new turbos(k04's, hybrids ,etc) is a better idea then going with a stock on or one with the stock turbos. When you go stage 3 the motor comes out of the car and while it is out most people do all maintance (timing belt, motor mounts,valve cover, turbos,and that needs to be replaced basically. In the long run this will save you tons of money because changing the turbos is tons of money alone. As for high mileage I wouldnt worry to much about it but theres car are getting old now (10 years)and most your find have high mileage, just make sure all/most maintance was done (timing belt especially should be done around 75-90k), new turbos are a plus but the stock ones(k03s) are unreliable and blow anytime they want, another reason why stage 3 is better the upgraded turbos are more reliable then the stocks. Control arms , wheel bearings, tie rods, there are a unch of other things I basically covered everything just search to learn more about.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 001jigsaw
Hey guys,

Let me start off by saying I hope we can all look past the fact that I own a Trans Am (lol) and some of you can help me out here.

I've had my T/A for a year and a half.. and I'm just getting sick of the bumpy ride, and it feeling like I'm gonna blow the damn motor. Lately I've been interested in BMW's and Audi's, 3 series and S4's especially. I was just looking for some guidance on B5's. I just need some advice for shopping around.. What to look out for, what to check, etc. Should I be worried about a high mileage S4? What would need to be replaced, stuff like that.

What years are the B5's? Were there any changes throughout the model years? any info as far as that goes would be much appreciated as well. Power, reliability, handling, all this stuff i'm curious about. Also wondering what it would take (modifications wise) to really make it a little beast.

I'd be coming from a 500 crank HP muscle car.. so it'll be a big change. Just need some help. Also I'm around the $13k price range.

Thank you guys.
-jigsaw
These cars cost more to mod and are most likely not as reliable as your TA. As long as you can work on it yourself you'll be OK and I'm 99% sure you'll enjoy driving it much more than your current car. I like '00 S4 because they don't have stability control which allows you to install a traction control defeat switch that will allow wheel spin. Not to mention they don't have the extra stability control sensors that can go bad as these cars get older. Good luck and buy one already stage 3.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm a muscle car guy too(66 Mustang, but mine does not have 500hp, yet.)
Just bought my first S4, and so far I'm very happy with it. I wanted an Avant(wagon) as well as the later year model(01.5-02.) Thankfully, all of the Avants are the 01.5-02, model year, so that covered me on the updates(larger oil lines, etc.)

I went all the way to Salt Lake City, Utah, to buy mine, and drove it back to Atlanta, Ga., without any issues.

I currently need a catalytic converter on one side, and an EGT(Exhaust Gas Temp. sensor) and if I were to have that done at the dealer, it would be a about $2k. I found a 64k mile S4(01.5) being parted out, so I'm buying the EGT and Cat. for $210, shipped. Me and my friend will put them on. So, if you can do the work, and find used parts to put on, then it doesn't have to break the bank.

I paid 10,250, for my 86k mile car, which was in very good condition, and had the timing belt service done about 70k miles. All stock, but an APR 91 chip, which changed the hp from 250-307, and the torque went from 258-366 lb.ft. Only software was added for those numbers, and that is a major reason I went for an S4. I would have liked to get a stage 3(larger turbos, etc.), but I was looking for a mostly stock car, with low mileage(as low as possible for an 8 year old car.)

www.goapr.com
Old 12-05-2009, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks big time for those replies guys. All of that information will majorly help. I just threw a god damn rod in my Trans Am.. so within a day of it being back in my driveway I'm about to pull the heads out, then the motor comes out..

The Trans Am is my source of budget for my next car, so I gotta rebuild her. Sucks.