S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My first track day this sat, any last minute preparations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first track day this sat, any last minute preparations?

disclaimer: I haven't STFA yet, but will when I have time.
This is just an open track day, where it's not a "race". They'll be 20 min sessions I believe. I'm stg 2+. Should I get different pads (stock brakes)? I was planning on replacing the brake fluid sometime soon, should I get that done before the track? Recommended tire pressure? Any other preparations/tips/tricks?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It sounds simple but: Slow Corners, Slow / Fast Corners, Fast ...

Also: Outside, Inside, Outside ...use all of the track (most of the time) ...

I know you were asking more about car set up, but mental driving preparations are important too!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

tires pressure, anti freeze/water level; oil, brake and steering fluids, boost level
Old 03-11-2008, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ah...this might help a bit...

Yes, I wrote it.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc9.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc9.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 AM

Default Yes, should do. YES must do! what tires?

Your brake pads may be ok, but the S4 is heavy and as you get faster you will be really working the brakes. You should upgrade the pads so you don't have to suffer brake fade. Also you will be wearing the brakes down a LOT, so if they aren't fairly new you may find yourself cutting the weekend short because your brakes are gone.

You should absolutely flush your brake fluid and use a high temp fluid. This is a mandatory step IMO. Motul is pretty good stuff. Imagine going 120mph approaching a tight turn, reaching for the brakes and find the pedal goes to the floor. Get fresh fluid.

When you're out there, remember that your brakes are hot, so DO NOT use your emergency brake when you park. Do not keep your foot on the brake when you come in after a session. Get the car stopped then take your foot off of the brake.

Inspect your car thoroughly, the last thing you want is a mechanical failure. Most DE's require you to get a tech inspection from a qualified shop. That should highlight any glaring issues that need to be addressed before the track day.

Not a bad idea to get an alignment while you're at it but it's not that big of a deal.

You will need to remove everything from inside the car that isn't attached to the car. Remove the drivers side floor mat.

The power of your car will really not come into play much, depending on the track. There will be guys out there (maybe in a different run group though) that are in ****box, no power cars that may well blow you away out there, so prepare to leave your ego at home.

It might even behoove you to run stock boost levels, for your car's sake and your learning curve. The worst guys on the track are the ones starting in high horsepower cars, they are doing horrible things in the corners then making it up on the straight. Very annoying to be faster than someone in the corners but they don't let you pass. Don't be that guy Crank the boost back up after you've figured out the lines and are getting more consistent.

Check your pressures when you get back to your pit, while the tires are still hot. You may have to bleed some off.

One easy way to tell if you need more or less tire pressure is if you are not rolling your tire enough (not using all of the grip surface, need less pressure), or it's rolling too much (not enough pressure).
Old 03-11-2008, 08:52 AM

wow, very nice write up
Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default YES! Get track-specific pads. Also flush your brake fluid and put in Motul RBF600.

I ran about 30psi cold on 235/40/18 Falken RT-615s my last time out at Willow Springs. They warmed up to about 40psi.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey, Steve, what NASA HPDE group would you recommend if...

I just got signed off to go solo in ACNA HPDE C group last month at Laguna Seca? I've only done one NASA event before (Infineon) at was in HPDE2 (solo) and did fine.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Group 3 NASA can be scary at times..lots of range there...

But Group 1 and 2 are on track together...it all depends on who signs up in what group. That being said...I would try Group 3. BTW, I use to be an instructor for NASA NorCal and SoCal.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default New race-specific pads are a great idea. In addition to Steve's excellent writeup. The

stock pads are not up to the task - and you'll have a lot more fun if you can drive without having to worry about brake fade. You will have to worry with stock pads, and maybe with race pads, but not as much. The Poerterfield R4 compound (Not R4S) are a great choice because you can install them at the track and run them immediately. They only require a few laps to bed in and do not require a period of cooling and "setting up" to be effective. It's also a good ideal to run 100 octane unleaded regardless of your ECU profile because the higher octane burns cooler and also prevents pinging that could occur with street gas since your engine temps will be considerably higher than normal. You can mix the race gas with pump gas no problem. Aside from those two things, get plenty of sleep the night before because you'll find yourself having to concentrate much harder than you can imagine.

Most importantly, keep the bottom side facing the ground and have a blast!

Quick Reply: My first track day this sat, any last minute preparations?