S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My hat is off to those who DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My hat is off to those who DIY

<b>Background</b> - My S4 now has 125,000 miles on it. Early in its life I found a good local shop that I trusted and they have played a critical role in getting this far as well as allowing me to escape any relationship with a dealership. My last car (’89 SHO) hit 200k with me and a part time mechanic friend doing all the maintenance. Shortly after I got the Audi I got a wife and then two kids (the car is a chick magnet but not a contraceptive). The combo of less time and needing my daily driver to be running has kept me from doing any engine work on this car thus far.

<b>Observation</b> – I have a small oil leak that seems to pool up when the car sits and then burn off after about 5 minutes of run time. Probably needs the seal kit. I also have a CEL that is related to one of the O2 sensors. This past week I decided to look into whether this is the time to start to do my own work. I pulled the pretty plastic covers and started to get to know my engine. MAN it is tight in there! And, you have to remove stuff just to SEE stuff! It has been easy to imagine myself doing all the great things that many of you do but now I realize that actually doing any of it will be far from easy.

<b>Request</b> - I’m stuck trying to decide if a VAG tool and a Bentley are going to be dust gatherers for me. Maybe until I have a beater to drive when repair projects take too long. If anyone is in NoVa, is doing it themselves and would not mind a slew of questions send me a note. Other general opinions welcome.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jumpnofear
Everything is much harder the first time but doing the seals and the o2 sensor is a good way to learn. You can skip bentley if you feel confident about working on engines - VAGCOM is essential when you're having issues, but collects dust when the car is fine. I would still get one.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the input

Originally Posted by donromani
Everything is much harder the first time but doing the seals and the o2 sensor is a good way to learn. You can skip bentley if you feel confident about working on engines - VAGCOM is essential when you're having issues, but collects dust when the car is fine. I would still get one.
Looks like I have a new item on my Xmas list, wonder what will get dropped... Bummed that I missed the VAGCOM for sale cheap by the guy who sold is S4, I'll have to act quicker next time.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My hat's off to the guys who document their do it yourselfs! Vag-Com's been great for me. I'm only now buying the bently 3 years later becuase I want to make sure I have my bases covered before doing my timing belt in a couple weeks.

You'll appreciate your car more after you've gotten dirty with her. Get the Vag at least.