S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My teardown---> rebuild project plans (Advice/Tips encouraged) Long w/lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My teardown---> rebuild project plans (Advice/Tips encouraged) Long w/lots of questions

I blew a turbo 2 months back and the S has sat ever since. Oil out the tailpipes and oil in both IC hoses (lots). I have read a few posts about the PCV valve getting stuck in severe cold weather. It was -15 the day my turbo seemed to blow.

#1.) Could I have had a stuck PCV Valve that gobbled up 1/2 my oil in 1/4 mile? (Car was trailered home)

#2.) If it's not the PCV valve, what's a good engine hoist to purchase? (I STFA for hoists but came up short)

#3.) I would like to go the K04 route but I want to make sure that my engine is in tip top shape before I invest in them. I would hate to put them in and then blow them in 5,000 miles because there was another problem. So I may just put in some used K03's for now. Anyone have a low mileage, no problem set?

#4.) I have my TB job about 90% done. Before I finish I would like to know how hard it would be for me to address some of the leaking oil all over my engine. Obviously I can clean it with engine GUNK. Valve covers are an obvious must, plus there is a DIY write up. The cam seals are a bit more elusive. I was wondering if someone could clue me in on cam seals. I have oil coming out of the PS cam behind the cog/pulley. The driver side is clean. There are 4 seals correct? All 4 are on the front of the engine? Is it easy to do while doing a TB job?

#4.) My car will have sat for months by the time I'm done with all of this. I disconnected the battery and will probably do a trunk mounted lightweight one in the 6-disk holder. Are there going to be any issues from sitting this long?

#5.) Other than that I have been modding the front bumper and doing something different. I busted out the old Dremel tool and have removed the top 3 sections of the grills. I plan on installing true RS4 mesh in the top holes only to match the hood grill (RS4). DOes anyone know if the ALLROAD bottom mesh is the same as the RS4 mesh? Might fit better and be cheaper. It will be a hybrid between an RS4 mod and a stock bumper. I also cut out a spot for my front plate in the grill behind the horizontal bar and trimmed my plate to fit. It will block a little air to the radiator, but not much. I just hated the way the front plate looked on the bracket (bracket for sale). I also purchased a new overflow tank and will be getting an APR snub to replace the VAST snub. I also have the headlight washers availible for sale.

#6.) Thanks for the help. I've already STFA on all of this at length. I probably missed some of the answers but, it happens. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

click the link in my sig
Old 04-02-2007, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Links

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html">Valve Cover Install</a></li></ul>
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Buy K04's you will hate yourself later if you dont. Snowtropper's are a great deal with the inlets!

Just run them on your K03 software for now. A messed up PCV will not destroy turbos. Good luck