S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

NEED HELP! Hose disconnected - waiting on answer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! Hose disconnected - waiting on answer!

hi All, so I've had a thread going about my early build 2001 6spd not having much power.

Long story short, I built the homemade pressure test system that ecs showed how to build.

I pressure tested the car and heard some air flow for sure, found a loose hose that would blow air when I turned the compressor on. This hose clearly had a clamp on it before and now doesn't

It appears that it might attach to an air rail under the Y-pipe, since this metal tube isn;t attached to a hose, I think they must go together

Can someone please confirm if the hose in the picture should attach to the tube in the picture. The only reason i am not sure an am asking is because the hose was clearly disconnected and pulled away by someone before i got the car (i've owned the car for 1 month) and for the first two weeks after tune the car ran fine and at full boost.

Also does this hose have a name? Thanks so much!

-Kyle
Attached Images    
Old 07-08-2011, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct that it connects to the metal line under the Y pipe attached to the fuel rail. See attached photos.

That really is not a boost leak, as the other end of the hose runs to the turbo inlet. It is a VERY good source of unmetered air causting you to run lean and probably pull timing/high EGTs or something else.

Stick it back on and retest. No need for a host clamp unless it pops off during pressure testing. In the real world that hose will only see vacuum.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
You are correct that it connects to the metal line under the Y pipe attached to the fuel rail. See attached photos.

That really is not a boost leak, as the other end of the hose runs to the turbo inlet. It is a VERY good source of unmetered air causting you to run lean and probably pull timing/high EGTs or something else.

Stick it back on and retest. No need for a host clamp unless it pops off during pressure testing. In the real world that hose will only see vacuum.
Thanks for the help! well that was nice to fix, I knew it probably wasnt the problem because it had clearly been like that since before I had the car. I'd swear it runs a little better now though. I replaced the hose and retested, no leaks anywhere.

So I am still not making full boost at 3900. I guess next step is to see what happened after id do tb/plugs/fuelfilter/samco tbb next weekend and to get a boost guage ASAP. Anyone have recommendations for a boost gauage? I DO NOT want a center vent or A pillar gauge. Can you put a center vent gauge in the vent to the left of the steering wheel?

Last edited by OrangeMan; 07-10-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: take pic out
Old 07-10-2011, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sure can...

Originally Posted by OrangeMan
Thanks for the help! well that was nice to fix, I knew it probably wasnt the problem because it had clearly been like that since before I had the car. I'd swear it runs a little better now though. I replaced the hose and retested, no leaks anywhere.

So I am still not making full boost at 3900. I guess next step is to see what happened after id do tb/plugs/fuelfilter/samco tbb next weekend and to get a boost guage ASAP. Anyone have recommendations for a boost gauage? I DO NOT want a center vent or A pillar gauge. Can you put a center vent gauge in the vent to the left of the steering wheel?
Just pop out the left vent and pop the gauge with the new vent in there. You'll have to figure out the hose routing. But shouldn't be difficult...

As for not producing full boost... Well I would think maybe your in limp mode. All things considering.. You have no boost gauge so you don't know how much boost your actually producing.

If ya have a vag-com, check for codes also if ya can do a throttle adaptation alignment. That'll help bring back some power. But if your still not making power.. chances are something else is going on... check the engine again for any loose connections.

Good luck, lmk how it goes
Chris