S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need Help, K04's look ok? Pictures inside.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you even read my post? Here, allow me to highlight the qualifying statement for you:

"(not saying those are knock offs, just in general)"

Those are are used turbos, that's why I said the part about fresh from the factory. I don't want someone else turbos. Every single mile on them should be logged when strapped to my exhaust manifolds, and no other.

No knock offs, no used turbos. That's my advice to OP.

PRTTTTH!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well Vast confirmed it, these are done. Rebuild only. Thanks again to the guys at Vast, always there to answer my stupid questions. lol
Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a clean set of K04s from my old stage 3 setup. They have have 30k on them and they were part of the AWE stage 3 kit I had installed by WMS.

I took them out and replaced them with RS6 turbos. No shaft play and clean fins. Originally I was going to put them into my other s4 but it looks like I'm going to part out that car versus fixing it. If you're interested PM me and I'll take some pics.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4incter
Well first I must start by saying after driving all night to pick up these used set of turbos, that are supposed to have 6,000 miles on them, I came back empty handed and full of questions.
Are you running your car with the OEM -18/19 turbos? Are you replacing them because they're shot or because you're looking for a performance bump? If the current turbos are still working I wonder if you'd be interested in recording your EGTs "before" and "after" the turbo swap. I'm really curious to know how much headroom the turbine housing casting has, and would love to know how the backpressures and temperatures are affected by the changed output of the K04's.

This is something I'd be happy to split the hardware costs with you on. And as far as I know there's not a lot of info out there on this question. Nobody seems to give their exhaust temperatures a lot of respect. This is unfortunate.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by slappy_dunbar
Are you running your car with the OEM -18/19 turbos? Are you replacing them because they're shot or because you're looking for a performance bump? If the current turbos are still working I wonder if you'd be interested in recording your EGTs "before" and "after" the turbo swap. I'm really curious to know how much headroom the turbine housing casting has, and would love to know how the backpressures and temperatures are affected by the changed output of the K04's.

This is something I'd be happy to split the hardware costs with you on. And as far as I know there's not a lot of info out there on this question. Nobody seems to give their exhaust temperatures a lot of respect. This is unfortunate.
I would be glad to do this as i have vag-com. Just need to know how on how to do this. I do currently have K03s in the car and would log them first. If you can just tell me how to do it.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

PM sent
Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most people don't really care about EGTs since most people leave the EGT sensors intact. Then in theory the computer will always limit the EGTs.

The few people who have installed wide band EGT sensors usuallly do it with more modifications. (turbos downpipes and exhaust manifolds.)
Old 01-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
I think most people don't really care about EGTs since most people leave the EGT sensors intact. Then in theory the computer will always limit the EGTs.
The stock EGT sensor is just ahead of the cat, correct? And its purpose is to ensure proper emissions. What I'm interested in would be a sensor placed just ahead of the collector on the exhaust manifold. Located here, it would provide direct feedback on the demands/stresses placed by a tuned turbo setup. Since the turbine housings for the S4 and RS4 are essentially the same, a comparative study of the changes in the manifold is really interesting to me.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock EGT sensor is located in the manifold right at the flange to the turbo. It is *ONLY* used as a last ditch/fale safe effort to insure that EGTs never rise above 9xx*C. I can't rememebr the exact value 965* comes to mind.

It is used as an emissions lowering device from a technical stand point. The options were to use EGT based fuel enrichment to protect the turbo, or to use RPM/Load based and run additionally rich all the time.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The stock EGT sensor is located in the manifold right at the flange to the turbo.
Coming from the 1.8t world this feature is news to me. And really welcome. I'm guessing the sensor is located just right of center in this picture, on the (ceramic coated manifold) right where you indicated it'd be.

It is *ONLY* used as a last ditch/fale safe effort to insure that EGTs never rise above 9xx*C. I can't rememebr the exact value 965* comes to mind.

It is used as an emissions lowering device from a technical stand point. The options were to use EGT based fuel enrichment to protect the turbo, or to use RPM/Load based and run additionally rich all the time.
Is the sensor data accessible in VAG-COM?

Quick Reply: Need Help, K04's look ok? Pictures inside.....