S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please

Hey guys I post a thread about an S4 I was gonna buy for $8,500 http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/1504290452.html. However, upon the final inspection i found out that there has been some oil leakage, doesn't look to bad from the naked eye however, the engine bay is tight so didn't really see where it could be coming from. The oil doesn't drip on the floor after we test drove it and left it running for about 5 mins. Let me know if you guys think this is a small issue or should I move on. Thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leakage/seepage is common at the age of these cars. On the sides of the engine, probably from valve covers (easy DIY). Front is from cam seals (big job), rear from rear main seal (big job). Also maybe from lower oil pan (not too bad) or upper oil pan (big job). If it's the turbo seals that are leaking, then they may be on the way out and that's an engine pull to replace them.

If the oil isn't dripping, it's probably just seepage, but you'll still want to fix it. Post pics if you can get them.