S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

New engine???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine???

Hi, this is my first post here, but I've been trolling since I got my car last October. It has high mileage at 180+ miles and it's been all sorts of trouble.

Well, this week, biggest problem of all. Recently, a loud tapping sound had been coming from the driver-side cylinderhead, which changed with engine speed, so I assumed it was the cams. Anyway, before I could get it looked at, one day the car started misfiring really badly. Turns out all cylinders on the driver's side were misfiring. Upon opening it up, it turns out one of the cams had completely eaten through one of the lifters. Inspecting the other cams showed that they were somewhat worn too. Anyway, the mechanic said that the lifter and valve stem had scratched the inside of the hole in the header where the lifter goes. Also, he said that the metal probably would have gone through the engine by now and it would need a new motor.

I was just wondering is what he's telling me is correct. The way things look right now, the lifter is stuck in the cylinder head but there doesn't seem to be any damage to the head. He'll be removing the oil pan to see the damage from below, but he says he doubts we'll be able to save the motor.

What a way to ruin the weekend. I just wanted to ask if I should indeed replace the whole engine, or whether I could just replace the lifter and camshaft or at worst the cylinder head if there hasn't been any serious damage. He's quoting $4000+ to replace the motor, so it might not even be worth it to do that.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't want to doubt the guy but I have to...

The valve stem is seated inside a valve guide which then is capped by valve stem seal. Normally when cam eats through the lifter is doesn't happen instantaneously. It is a long process which produced very fine particles which get caught by oil filter. The valve stem seal won't let any crap through.

In vast majority of failures like you encountered, all you need is new used cam and new lifters (all of them, not just the failed one) so this cam.

I doubt the head got scratched but if it did, you'll also need a new head and that's a bit more work.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That's what I thought when I looked at it. My only worry is that the valve under that lifter got stuck in an open position and got struck by the piston, inducing damage to the piston.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

if the valve isnt bent or broken inside the cyl your piston is probably fine. theyre pretty tough little buggers
Old 04-15-2011, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well I called him, he said he pulled the oil pan off and there was a bunch of metal that came out. He said he thinks it'll almost definitely need a new motor. Anyway I told him to just get some new lifters and cam. He was very hesitant about that and said he doesn't want to see me throw money out the window. I told him I just want the thing running at least for a little while and I'll get the major work done in the summer.

He said it'll be hard to find used cams and that labor alone would get to about $1200. He also told me that the lifter might have damaged the cylinder head and he might not be able to put a new one in.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

sounds like an awful lot of maybes and ifs. i would venture to guess that he just doesnt want to do the work. in any case, for 1200 you might be able to find a decent motor.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah. Decided I might as well spend the extra couple of hundred and get a new motor with new turbos. At 190k miles, they're nearing their danger zone anyway. Plus it'll be simpler for the mechanic with less likelihood of something going wrong. Any advice on buying/installing used motors? Or anything important I should know about the process?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

have the turbos inspected well. its a lot of labor to have them replaced. id probably do a new clutch, any leaking gaskets replaced, probably a new timing belt and water pump to be safe, maybe do piggie pipes while youre in there, maybe some new oil feed lines? would be a good time to check and replace motor and trans mounts. theyre probably all shot.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Seriously!!!!.... man you should look into ebay. A good used motor for anywhere from 1200 to 2500, decent milage. Yes your buying someone elses problem, but it's not gonna cost ya 4k. Get a used motor, and take ur current one, rebuild it slowly and with what you want. Make it into a built motor, with new turbo's if you like. but at least to get you up and running, I'd do a used motor.

I did that when my street bikes tranny decided to give out (thx to kawasaki, morons). I was seriously lucky, not sure how I did that, but I found another motor in cali, picked it up for crazy cheap... guy totaled his bike.

I swapped out my motor with this one, after inspecting of course. Did valve adjustments the works on this second motor. Put it in the bike, and the thing runs like it just came of the show room floor. Took my motor set it aside until I could either find a tranny online somewhere, or buy the # 3 gear that was toast. Again, somehow.. I got really lucky and found the full on tranny on ebay, which turned out to be a guy I know here in anaheim, went and picked it up for 100bucks. clutch, and all... this whole unit is at least a 2500 bucks set all together. so all in all 400 bucks, I got a motor, and another tranny to my motor. Not bad right?

Seriously consider a used motor... Look into it at least. Good luck none the less, we always wish you the best, of course.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh no. I guess I didn't clarify. He's quoting about 2000 for a used motor. It has 60k miles on it. And then the other 2k is for labor. I decided to just go for it. Not sure if I need new turbos, though. 700 for new K03s. Is it worth replacing? The guy selling the used engine wants 200 for his. I'd go for K04s, but short on cash right now, and I'd rather keep things stock. Besides that, it's getting new mounts, timing belt etc. Bought the car with GIAC stage 1, but I might wanna return it to stock. I really don't need the extra power just yet, and I rather lengthen the life on the turbos.

Quick Reply: New engine???