S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

new k04's question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new k04's question

I just bought brand new k04's, I was just looking at them and on one side of the coldside turbine the blades look closer to the inlet on the housing then the other side. It looks like one side is just about to scrape and the other has some clearence. It also seems the turbos seem to have SLIGHT shaft play (looks like if I really wanted to I can make the blades touch each side of the housing). Is this normal? Sorry im just very paranoid I just spent a **** load of money on them.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

if I listen very closely when I spin the turbine I could hear some sort of metal kind of noise while its turning. Also new is there supposed to be like scratches on the coldside inlet right next to to blades it appears that theres is only on a few certain parts.I never bought new turbos before and I just want to make sure.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Kind of confused about your first description, are you referring to the 'other side' being the other turbo in comparison?

Some shaft play is normal, since they are journal bearing turbos, when oil surrounds the bearing it will, for lack of a better term, make a 'seal' and float the shaft. As long as it's not touching the walls then you should be fine.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mott Power
Kind of confused about your first description, are you referring to the 'other side' being the other turbo in comparison?

Some shaft play is normal, since they are journal bearing turbos, when oil surrounds the bearing it will, for lack of a better term, make a 'seal' and float the shaft. As long as it's not touching the walls then you should be fine.

By other side I meant the opposite side of the coldside,on one side of the coldside the blades look closer to the inlet housing, and on the other side acroos from that side there looks to be a decent gap of clearence compared to the other. Sorry I know its confusing
Old 12-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2kb5s4
I just bought brand new k04's, I was just looking at them and on one side of the coldside turbine the blades look closer to the inlet on the housing then the other side. It looks like one side is just about to scrape and the other has some clearence. It also seems the turbos seem to have SLIGHT shaft play (looks like if I really wanted to I can make the blades touch each side of the housing). Is this normal? Sorry im just very paranoid I just spent a **** load of money on them.
Side-to-side shaft play is normal and not an issue, even though it seems like the looseness is enough to allow the wheel to touch the inlet housing. Called radial play, a certain amount is necessitated for adequate lubrication in the journal bearings. The devil is axial play, or movement up and down in the shaft. If you've got OEM Borg3K turbos then I'll wager the axial play is nil. If you'd like to see some video proof of "nominal shaft play", look here:

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...t=000_0607.flv
Old 12-05-2009, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks, so minimal side to side is normal even though it looks like it barely touching then inlet housing? I just checked them and they have no up and down shaft play so slight side to side. Another question is when I turn the wheel it spins freely but I hear a SLIGHT metal sound i dont know if it rubbing against something or that is also normal. Thanks for the replys though.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, alot of times you'll have way more than you think you should. But at 3bar of oil pressure in the jurnals you'll have a hell of alot less. As they said, it is the axial play that is bad.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2kb5s4
\Another question is when I turn the wheel it spins freely but I hear a SLIGHT metal sound i dont know if it rubbing against something or that is also normal. Thanks for the replys though.
Normal