S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

NEW S4 Owner + Questions

Old 05-10-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW S4 Owner + Questions

I just bought a 2001 Nogaro Blue S4 w/ 6 speed with 106k. Im new to the whole Audi world, i come from Hondas. As soon as a drove this car i could never step foot in another Honda vehicle. I have a few questions to start off with get me started.

Where is the best place to get OEM audi parts online that has diagrams and part #'s?

I have a small oil leak(bare with my description) coming from the side of the engine located on the rear passenger side just below the valve cover. It almost seems like it is coming from a black tubing mounted on the side. Its not the valve cover gasket for sure. Sorry I am not familiar with these engines yet so i cant tell you what parts are what..

Is a leaking wiper wash fluid tank common?

I am about to dive into a timing belt change. what parts are recommended to change while in there? t-belt, waterpump, tb tensioner? anything else?

Thats all the questions for now, more to come later. thanks for the help.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default GOTTA POST some pics..

Old 05-10-2009, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

First bit of maintenance a timing belt job? Lot's of people never want to tackle that.

Search for "timing belt" w/ quotes in the advanced search and just selected the b5 s4 forum.

You'll need a special tool that is a cam locking bar. I've heard ECS (ecstuning.com) has a good kit. You'll need to do the water pump and thermistat while your in there. I would do make sure to replace any of the wear items in the area since getting to the timing belt is a real hassle with the removal of the front bumber/clip.

to use the search make sure to use quotes, or just use the google and do the site: thing.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

yea im not scared to tackle any job on cars. i rebuilt a couple engines before so im pretty familiar. just not with german engines...yet....

any ideas about the oil leak? i cant really take any pictures..
Old 05-10-2009, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Does it look like that wierd spider hose? Black accordian with like a couple connections?

Here is a link to the timing belt kit with the tool.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4-...Timing/ES7439/

You can find kits for cheaper, I've heard this was a good quality kit.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

yea i saw that kit. thanks.

is there any shop manuals available or do you actually have to buy that bentley manual? no one has a copy?

if you look down at the engine, on the left bank under the intake tubing, it is to the right of the cam looking seal about 5 inches over. it is a black tube and it has a green colored sensor connecting to it.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Buy a timing belt kit from someone like PureMS.com. There are many other company's that have good stuff. Vast, Blauparts etc. Change the accessory belt tensioner while you are in there. Use the proper tool and to set the cams and do it right.(pop the sprockets). When buying Audi Parts (sometimes you have to) go through Carson at Riverside Audi. They have a website set up, and if you register as a company using your Audiworld member number you get a huge discount. When I showed my local dealer what I am paying for parts they almost passed out. There is a good tech article under the resources tab for the timing belt. Good luck and save your money, you will need it for maintenance.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

In my head the only sensor (w/green top) that comes to mind is the coolent temp sender.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The leaking wiper fluid tank is common - apparently there is a bad gasket/seal on the pump or something like that. It's a pain to fix because the fluid tank is tough to remove.

Just don't fill the tank to the top - fill it about 1/3 full - and you should have enough fluid without having the tank leak.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

JHM has a kit with the cam seals + they have a tool rental for $40.. Looks like a much better deal than the ECS kit. Pure's looks pretty similar.. Just tossing out more sources..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEW S4 Owner + Questions