S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

CEL for many codes, help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL for many codes, help!

i have a 2001 b5 s4 and when i purchased the car(stock) it would throw a CEL once a month or so for missfire. i changed the spark plugs, fuel filter and checked the coils(they're good) and still have the misfire. it only seems to be noticeable at idle and is most noticeable when coming to a stop. since purchasing i have gutted all four cats and put in the vast 02 spacers. now i have a constant CEL and these are the codes..

P1122
P1140
P1114
P1176
P0300
P0158

I keep checking to see if theres a new code and for the most part its just these but one time i did get an EGT code and heard that EGT's are very mysterious things. does anyone have any ideas? i'm trying to be cost efficient and dont feal like purchasing an egt to find out it wasnt that. also, has anyone else bought the vast 02 plugs and had problems? thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

please use S4biturbo.com and list the codes. I don't have time to look them all up. Or all of the memorized.

P0300 is multiple missfires.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

sorry s4biturbo is down. but i listed what the codes are now. thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i have a 2001 b5 s4 and when i purchased the car(stock) it would throw a CEL once a month or so for missfire. i changed the spark plugs, fuel filter and checked the coils(they're good) and still have the misfire. it only seems to be noticeable at idle and is most noticeable when coming to a stop. since purchasing i have gutted all four cats and put in the vast 02 spacers. now i have a constant CEL and these are the codes..

P1122 - O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank2-Sensor2 Open
P1140 - Bank2-Sensor2 Internal Resistance too High
P1114 - Bank1-Sensor2 Internal Resistant too High
P1176 - O2 Correction Behind Catalyst,B1 Limit Attained
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0158 - O2 Sensor Circ.,Bank2-Sensor2 High Voltage

I keep checking to see if theres a new code and for the most part its just these but one time i did get an EGT code and heard that EGT's are very mysterious things. does anyone have any ideas? i'm trying to be cost efficient and dont feal like purchasing an egt to find out it wasnt that. also, has anyone else bought the vast 02 plugs and had problems? thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gerdaland

P1122 - O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank2-Sensor2 Open
P1140 - Bank2-Sensor2 Internal Resistance too High
P1114 - Bank1-Sensor2 Internal Resistant too High
P1176 - O2 Correction Behind Catalyst,B1 Limit Attained
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0158 - O2 Sensor Circ.,Bank2-Sensor2 High Voltage

Your Bank2/Sensor2 is likely Kaput. It has a little pre-heater on it and that seems to be fried. The sensor itself might work, but it will send bad readings until the car heats up.

The internal resistance too high errors are common and don't cause a CEL by themselves normally. In my experience they are indicative of imminent sensor death.

Multiple misfires are pretty common symptoms of boost leaks so you should do a boost test to rule that out. I've also heard they can result from bad EGT sensors, so keep your fingers crossed that that's not the problem cause those are expensive.

I don't know what the limit attained and high voltage errors mean specifically.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I send off all my dead/semi dead EGTs to a guy working on a hardware egt delete. This would let you know of it was from an EGT. I'll ask him if he ever finished them.

I would check for vacuum leaks/boost leaks and clean the maf sensor.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

First off. Sensor 2 will thow CELs but not do anything in terms of misfires/fueling.

The limit means that whatever is happening is altering the fueling by 15% or more. Maxing out the self adjusting mechanism of the ECU.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks, ill try checking for a leak and cleaning the MAF sensor and see where that leads me.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

checked maf and for vacuum leak, still no good..
Old 10-27-2009, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not to throw you off track, but there was a previous post with a similar assortment of codes and I beleive he found it to be bad fuel pump. I suppose if all else fails you may want to look into a ground issue.

Quick Reply: CEL for many codes, help!