S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

North American S4 press release

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-1999, 04:46 PM
Matt Daniels

Default North American S4 press release

I have the press release for the S4 in my hands. Most of it is stuff that we already know. First off, <b>I do not have pricing, so don't ask</b>. I'll try and post anything that I see is "new".

1. Pearl White paint is a seperate option. It looks like Audi is reintroducing the color for all models.

3. According to this, the Tiptronic transmission is a <b>no-cost</b> option

4. The "Sport interior package" (alacantara leather) is also a no-cost option.

5. Offical numbers are still 250 hp, 256 lbs of torque.

6. Offical times are 0-6 in 5.9 for manual and 6.5 for tip. 1/4 times are 14.4 for manual and 14.8 for tip

7. Fuel economy: 17 city, 24 highway

The rest is stuff is nothing new. Again, I do not have pricing, I hope to get it tomorrow, but I can't guarantee it, I was really surprized that I didn't get it with this current press release.

I'm going to be unavailable for the rest of the day, so I won't be able to answer any questions. I may have some time tomorrow. If I get pricing, I'll definitely post that information tomorrow if I can.

Matt
Old 08-29-1999, 05:36 PM
Kean

Default That's awesome! Tiptronic and Alcantara at no cost... I LOVE IT!

It's just too bad I can't get an S4 huh? I'm still trying to decide if I want to get an auto or a manual in my car when I get it. What do you guys suggest... Pro's and Con's? Thanks.
Old 08-29-1999, 05:53 PM
Stoney

A6 2.7T only 0.1 sec slower (0-60) than S4... Yes!!!
Old 08-29-1999, 06:00 PM
Scott D.

Default How do you come up with that result?

Are you referring to manual or Tip?
Old 08-29-1999, 06:28 PM
Steve Ryan

Default Accorrding to the new all inclusive 2000 brochure...

the 2.7T A6 does 0-60 mph in 6.0/6.6 (manual/Tip)
Old 08-29-1999, 06:28 PM
mpm

Default Struggled with this one myself (due to a bad, read slow, commute with lots of 1-2-3-2-1 shifts)...

and I thought tip-on-the-wheel would solve all my issues (I'm thinking F1, it works for Micheal & Mika..) but, after driving a 2.8Q I changed my mind and deceide to go with the ZF 6 speed with the additional oil cooler (I think this unit is similar to the 993/996 6 speed, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong...).

IMHO I don't like the slight pause on down shifts and up shifts. It's been explained (from friends and then reenforced by a lot of people on the board) as having everything to do with clutches verses selinoids(sp?). Only Ferrarri, I believe, offers a true paddel manual that uses clutches.

I've also have 205,000 on my coupe GT, and still on the original clutch - thank you very much, so I'm hopeing for the same type of reliability.
Old 08-29-1999, 06:45 PM
Steve Olsen

Where's point #2? What are you hiding?!? =)
Old 08-29-1999, 07:50 PM
Jason Dale

Default Weekend antics....

Weren't you at Monterey this weekend with John and Jason T.? If so, how was it?

Jason Dale
Audi Technicain
Ken Garff Motors
Provo, UT
Old 08-29-1999, 09:43 PM
Stoney

Default Here is the brochure info for the A6 2.7T...

See <A HREF="http://A4.org/forum/m/a6/123.phtml">this message in the A6/S6 forum</A>.
Old 08-30-1999, 08:19 AM
RocketJohn

Default Thanks for the info... I still think this pricing mystery has to do with current orders (more)

I personally believe that Audi will make mucho profit on the S4, regardless if its sold at $35k base or $39k base... and that they have been watching orders come in since last spring to gauge demand and whether the S4 loaded out should come in at $40k, $45k or somewhere in between...

The last thing they need is a bunch of S4s sittin' around on dealer lots... plus I am gonna be pissed, after negotiating MSRP! ouch...

I bet they have had about a jillion AoA meetings on this issue too! hehe... I bet they have someone that reads all this garbage... we should have all been continuously posting messages like, "I am not going purchase an S4 unless, totally loaded its under $40k!" or "I am going to get an M3 if the price is over $40k fully loaded!"

We need to use this forum to drive future pricing! hehehe

RocketJohn
'00 S4 on order waiting for the Pricing Blitzkrieg to be unleashed...

Quick Reply: North American S4 press release