S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Ok...what are the rational reasons why the 1999 2.8Q has better residuals than the 2000 S4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 04:25 PM
Steve S.

Default Ok...what are the rational reasons why the 1999 2.8Q has better residuals than the 2000 S4?

I just don't get it....why Audi why?

1999 A4 2.8Q - 36 month lease - 59% residual value
2000 S4 Q - 36 month lease - 56% residual value

The older car has better residuals...huh? come on Audi Financial...this is nutz!

Anybody care to venture a quess as to why?

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 09-07-1999, 05:03 PM
Michael

Default My take on the residuals.

1) By the end of the lease there will be a new redesigned A4. This never helps resale value, as the pre-own buyer would like to have a body style like the brand new one.
2) Most of these S4's will have a hard life, mods, track events, etc.
3) Audi does not have to. They already have a long line of people ready to buy them. If the sales of the S4 start slowing down, look for some good lease deals.

These residuals will prevent me from getting a S4 for now, after waiting 2 years for the damm thing to get hear in the US.
Start looking at other options.

Why Audi Why?
Old 09-07-1999, 05:24 PM
Phil S

Default Re: None of your reasons make sense...

1)Past S4's and S6, have such a high value that traditional used car guides label them as "market" cars, and that usually means what the market will bring, or in other words high $.
2)No lease company will assume you are going to damage,race or modify the car you lease and give it a low value based on that, they assume normal wear and tear, and will charge you if it is not.
3)Audi has many S4 still unsold and dealers are discounting off MSRP and the car is not even here yet! I walked into a CT dealer and had my pick of 5 colors all with VIN's, and got $1000 off MSRP with very little work! Biener is doing this on their dealer web sight.
I think Audi will come out with a residual enhancement as an intro program, if not, this car will be hard to sell.
Old 09-07-1999, 05:36 PM
Phil S

Default Re: You are dead right, this is nutz, I hope it's going to change...

I will not even try to guess, I have been in the automobile business for 14 years and this one stumps me. This car is a no brainer for a high residual lease. S4 and S6 have always been strong used cars, and the new cars are even better and more popular. I am going to check my books when I am back at my dealership Wed, but I bet these residuals are not very competetive.I sell new Aston-Martin, Ferrari, and high end used toys,we lease alot of Mercedes, Porsche and so on, and I am stumped on this one.
Old 09-07-1999, 07:12 PM
Jon Shafer

By George you've got It! - - See item#3 (eom)
Old 09-07-1999, 07:20 PM
AvramD

Default Which CT dealer? Inskip in RI won't bargain & has nothing

Whiich dealer in CT? Were any of them Santorin Blue/Silver?

I ordered mine at Inskip in Warwick, RI, and they have at most 1 car with a VIN that's not sold. I believe they only have 3 or 4 cars with VINs period.

Anybody out there have any experience with Inskip in RI? So far, my experience is that they are *way* behind the power curve - they still don't have pricing info, and we've all had it for a week!
Old 09-07-1999, 09:10 PM
rickp

Default Unlike most "special edition" cars.........

Audi says there will be plenty of S4s to go around (October "Road and Track"). In fact, they said they will be bringing 4-5000 a year! Don't let your dealer sucker you by telling you they're a limited car!

Rick
Old 09-08-1999, 03:29 AM
Phil S

Re: C-mon Jon, you know these numbers suck, and Audi has many unsold units.
Old 09-08-1999, 03:31 AM
Phil S

Default Re: Large dealers get more cars, look fpr posts about Biener....

They have cars and prices posted on their web page, and you can buy over the NET
Old 09-08-1999, 04:42 AM
boxster

Default Most manufacturers have been lowering residuals because....

...they've taken too many losses on cars that had artifically-inflated residuals in the past. Unfortunately for us, that means higher lease payments. Manufacturers are trying to recoup some of those losses.

-boxster

Quick Reply: Ok...what are the rational reasons why the 1999 2.8Q has better residuals than the 2000 S4?