S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Potential S4 owner

Old 10-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential S4 owner

Hi everyone my name is Bach,

I will be in a market for a new (used) car in a few months. All of the cars I have owned or driven were N/A I4. So I'm really looking foward to have some decent power with anything but FWD in the next car.

My price range is around $15k and back. So far I have sighted on GS400, G35, 350Z, S2000, RX8. And my newest fetish is the early 2000 Audi sedans. I heard so many good compliments about the 2.7 TT in the S4 B5. From my understanding it's very well responded to mod and only need good tune to reach the 300WHP mark.

As I would use this to replace my daily drive, I would like to know more about the durability of this model, or particularly the engine. Any particular thing I should look for in purchasing an S4 at 50,000 miles? 100,000 miles? Your own experience ? Tips ? Please fill me on guys.

Bach
Old 10-10-2009, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Engine is pretty solid out of the box. The sensors suck and various ones like to freak out from time to time. Other then that, it's pretty standard fair as far as any import goes. Coming out of N/A, just be aware that while there are few things that are as satisfying as feeling the turbo kick in, it is another part that that is under alot of stress and can fail. Search the archives for more info as this topic is covered at least once a week.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bach,
I used to live in No. VA and I'm now in CT and may be selling my 2000 S4 with 48K miles. I wont know if I'm selling until next week as I'm looking at a B6 S4.

Here is the basic info:
2000 S4
Silver ext / silver (light gray) interior
35% window tint
6-spd
48K miles
MTM stage 2 chip
MTM catback (one of the best sounding exhausts out there. Authoritative but not to noisy, similar to Milltek)
RS4 intercoolers (from APR)
Apr Bipipe and 710N bypass valves
AWE Boost Gauge in left-center vent
Snub Mount
Autospeed Transmission Stabilizer (to be installed)
H&R Street Coilovers
Movit 4-wheel brake kit (Porsche calipers at all 4 wheels, uses big reds on the front and boxter calipers on the rear)
New Timing Belt, waterpump, thermostat, T-belt tensioner & Idler pulley Jun'09
New spark plugs Jun'09
Upper Control Arms and outer Tie Rod Ends replaced Jan'09
Euro headlights
Bose Stereo with 6-Disc changer
Rebuilt ABS controller installed Jan'09
If sold will be have stock rims
(planning to keep SSR Comps)

Take a look at my picture poster!! New pictures taken yesterday are there.

Being in NoVa you are lucky to be in a strong Audi enthusiast community who love to get together and help each other work on there cars or just have fun. No matter what Audi you get ou should check out the MidAtlantic forum.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks QuickSilver, that interior is simply shinny clean man... Just wish I was living closer

Living in the west, particularly Socal, Audi S-line isn't really popular so I do have a tough time looking for a good deal ...
Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by B@ch
Thanks QuickSilver, that interior is simply shinny clean man... Just wish I was living closer

Living in the west, particularly Socal, Audi S-line isn't really popular so I do have a tough time looking for a good deal ...
Just open your wallet to the sucking sound ...lol
Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So after doing some more research, I decided to opt out from Mazda and DSM due to "unjustified" cost of owning. The "lawn mower" Rotaty motor of RX8 is just too impractical, life spand of the Evo is even worst ...

I know most (if not all) VW has electrical issues here and there. I'm not too worry about it since I can work some magic on electrical. So my biggest concern is on the reliability of the 2.7 BiTurbo and it's tranny.

First simple question: How long ( many miles) does it last under normal driving condition with proper maintenance ?

Bach,
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So after doing some more research, I decided to opt out from Mazda and DSM due to "unjustified" cost of owning. The "lawn mower" Rotaty motor of RX8 is just too impractical, life spand of the Evo is even worst ...

I know most (if not all) VW has electrical issues here and there. I'm not too worry about it since I can work some magic on electrical. So my biggest concern is on the reliability of the 2.7 BiTurbo and it's tranny.

First simple question: How long ( many miles) does it last under normal driving condition with proper maintenance ?

Bach,
The tranny is completely dependent upon the driver... I have 112K on my transmission and it feels like butter, holds hard shifts still to a T and doesn't grind in any gears, etc. I have seen transmissions go bad at 55K where I sold a tranny rebuild kit to a friend, and I've seen stock transmissions at over 150K+ and still feel like mine. When you're test driving the car make sure it feels OK, gets into gear alright and you should be good to go. Redline MT90 is the fluid that I have in there some people use others but it usually makes a great difference just to change the fluid. JHM sells a whole bunch of tranny upgrade parts and even a complete rebuild kit if you need it.

I have been Stage 3 since 88K, so just over 22K and I have done hundreds of 1-2 hard shifts, even more 2-3s etc.. I've replaced my clutch twice, first with an RS4 clutch and this time around with a VAST Stage 3 Ceramic clutch which has been the better of the two, in terms of holding capabilities.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi everyone my name is Bach,

As I would use this to replace my daily drive, I would like to know more about the durability of this model, or particularly the engine. Any particular thing I should look for in purchasing an S4 at 50,000 miles? 100,000 miles? Your own experience ? Tips ? Please fill me on guys.

Bach
Regarding the S4...
...stay away from tips.