S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Power Loss After Oil Overfill

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Loss After Oil Overfill

Hey guys,
First I need to say I'm new on the S4 scene, just got my 2001.5 last Friday, and I am not someone who is mechanically inclined (meaning although I like cars, I don't know ****). However, I did search a whole lot of this subject and can't really find what I'm looking for.
My problem began when I overfilled the oil. I don't what happened, must have misread the oil level but I WAY overfilled it. I then checked the oil level, went what the **** and took it to a small garage to get it drained, around 5km away. On the way I noticed that I had no power at all, the car just wouldn't accelerate like the crazy ride it had been for the first 2 (lol) days.
Once I was there, I said **** it and got an oil change, they put 5W40 Syntec (Castrol) oil in it. Then it seemed to be better and I went on my way back home (Around 170 km (100miles)) since I was visiting some friends over there.
While on the highway, I noticed that I couldn't get any extra power, I was going 120km/h at around 9L/100km which I guess isn't that bad. If I downshifted to 4th (I have a tip) The car would rev up to around 3K and just wouldn't go any higher (well it would but really really slowly and I didn't want to push it).
I got home last night, went to sleep, took my other car to work and now I'm back.
Still no power. Unplugged the battery for 10 min to reset ECU. Plugged it back in, idled lower then it just did (when I began to have problems, it idled at around 1100-1200) while it was now at around 900.
Started going, seemed like everything was fixed, went just fine, lots of boost, that great turbo sound with the windows down.... for around 30 seconds, right after that, back to square one, like driving a ****ty 2.0 golf....
I'm guessing it's a sensor and resetting the ECU sent it back to its normal value in the system, then when it got new data it went **** that ?
From what I've read (and I've read lots on the subject, I'm just not very knowledgeable, but I am trying to learn), seems like it could be MAF sensor, TBB, plugs or coils. I doubt it's the turbos cause although they are stock K03s, I got some boost and there's no weird sound.

I should have the answer tomorrow but it's a new place for me to take my car to so I want to have a good idea of what I'm facing

Thanks a lot
Old 10-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm having a similar problem, I don't want to hijack your thread, but any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

My 01.5 needed the aux water pump replaced. I'm in the military and don't have the time or garage space to do it myself so I took it to an import tuner to have done. The car went in running great. I get it back and let it sit around for about a week (I carpool with other lieutenants) driving intermittently. I took it to OKC for a weekend and found I had no power below 30 miles per hour.

Some suggestions I heard were oil on the clutch disk. Yours sounds the same way mine did. It was running absolutely fine, and now I feel like my clutch is making no contact in 1-3rd gear. I am throwing 0 codes and my CEL doesnt come on at all, it just suddenly has no power.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You're not throwing any codes, hearing any noises or feeling and jerking as well are you?