S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Presenting Zero Clearance K04s!

Old 12-18-2003, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem. :-)
Old 12-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Elder Member

No, the blades do NOT grind the housings. Unless the turbo has failed that is.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default we build up the housing with a coating.

on a stock turbo, the wheel DOES NOT touch the housing. we add coating to reduce clearances
Old 12-18-2003, 03:17 PM
Josh@StatusRacing

Default We fully expect there to be a lot of doubt and questions surrounding these turbos

Just remember that this technology is from KKK! We'll be posting data and dyno numbers as soon as they are available.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Supposedly Mazda has changed the Rx7 turbos in Japan

to this type of techology since '99. It seems to have worked well for them.
N
Old 12-18-2003, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default give me the exact dimensions of a blade and the exact aluminum type

and if i have time over the break ill work it out for you.

other usefull info would be max operating temp and max rpm.

thanks
Old 12-18-2003, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had to leave too. Let me just re-iterate what my concerns are....

Heat expansion is going to pull a little bit more coating off once installed. Once you get the turbo at high RPMs for an extended time the blade will "except" more heat (have time to move closer to equilibrium) and expand further into the coating.

Is this huge deal?? No.
BUT this will lower the effeciecny lower than what is published. Again, not a huge deal but something that I consider.

The second part:
As the bearings wear, and they always do, you'll pull more of the coating away. The more coating that is removed the more you move toward the initial effeciency of the turbo. This will be a slow decline but a decline non the less. The bearings will wear and the effeciency will be in a constant decline ("should" happen over a long time).

I don't think you can really answer the "life" question because it's really the bearings life. There's just too many factors in that for ANYONE to know. But I would still be interested to see if your IAT's have changed in 7k miles!

Bearing an Coating Status:
This effeciency decline will take place as the bearings age. In a UrS4 (where you can easily pull the turbo) this isn't a problem because you can inspect the coating and see how your bearings are doing (nice touch actually). But in the S4tt, you can't do that very easily. With the S4tt you really have to watch you IAT's to get an idea on the coating and bearing condition.

This is a great product but I'd like to see the life of it. Luckily, it's not expensive to do, but I would chose to spend the money on something else......at this point.

If I had no choice I would get a turbo with the coating, but I would also expect a slow progressive decine in performance! Hopefully, a VERY slow decline!

Thanks for the discussion and for keeping it civil :-) Is this really the S4 forum??
Old 12-18-2003, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, cause the housing grinds the blades :-) See my post above....

...I think I illustrates my concerns better than I've done so far.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1495605.phtml">Click!</a></li></ul>
Old 12-18-2003, 04:11 PM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Default only time will tell. who's gonna' be the test mule...

and see if they last and if they continue to produce the bump in power as stated.

kudos to Achtuning however. it's good to see some "real" tuning with OE parts for a change.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:22 PM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Default few hundred miles? try one full heat cycle....

metal in a turbo isn't some pliable plastic behaving strangely over temperature ranges. expansion and contraction is predictable. and remember it's hottest state might not actually be the state creating most wear. [did your high school science professor ever do the steel ball in the metal ring trick?]

take it up from cold to max operating temp in one drive and i'll bet all the wear of the coating is complete...less long term shaft and bearing wear and out of round effects.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Presenting Zero Clearance K04s!