S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

A question or four for A4 owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-1999, 07:47 AM
JLT

Default A question or four for A4 owners

Due to a recent job offer and subsequent existing job counter-offer, my wife is in the position of looking for a leased company car for herself.

The price range of what she's looking at isn't set or known yet (although it will be between $20-40K,) but will be negotiated soon.

I spent some time looking at various cars at various price ranges, and worked up from Camry/Accord V6's, through Passats, eventually getting to Audi A4's, and subsequently the S4 (among others).

I've read a lot of online reviews of the A4 and a couple about the S4, but there are some things that aren't really said in them.

Every review talks quite a bit about the lack of space in the A4. How is it in practice? We do have two teens and although it wouldn't be an every day need to have people in the back, it would probably happen a couple of times a week.

Also, my wife can't drive manual, which means going for the Tiptronic. With the power loss from that and the extra weight of the Quattro, I'm tempted to suggest the S4 over the A4, if we do go the Audi route, even though my wife isn't necessarily the 'girl-racer' type. My question is, how does Tiptronic drive if you've never experienced it before?

Is the A4 2.8 enough for spirited city driving (she'd commute to Manhatten from Queens)?
Lastly, would the S4 be a waste on someone who isn't a performance junkie?

Thanks in advance.

JLT
Old 09-03-1999, 08:14 AM
Eric H.

Default Re: A question or four for A4 owners

The backseat is fine for two adults unless they have long legs and the front seat folks demand similar space. Remember, you are the parent, it is your dime, and the handling of the A4/S4 merits sacrifices, especially those made by others. Zipping in and out of traffic in that car is something you will not forget. The 2.8 is fine for all but the most speed-minded drivers, there is always oomph to get past someone when you need it, and the quattro gets you off the line quicker than almost anyone for quick maneuvering after a stop light. The S4 promises simply more of everything, for those of us who seek more, even though we don't really need it. You only live once.
Old 09-03-1999, 09:31 AM
2S4orNot2S4

Default Re: A question or four for A4 owners

Let's be realistic of your (your wife's) needs.

I think an S4 is a waste if you're not using it for spirited driving. A big part of its cost are the go-fast goodies; Hence, I would spend that money elsewhere, in an area I am going to use.

The A4 2.8 should perfectly adequate for commuting elegantly

The Tiptronic drives like any torque-converter equipped automatic -- nothing to get used to. You can shift it if you want, but don't have to.

I will also suggest some other cars in this segment that might hit your needs target closer. For fast, effortless, luxurious commuting, consider the MY2000 Infiniti I30. It makes a good case for itself with the 227bhp V6 that's been praised by many a publication as one if the best engines in the world; It is very completely equipped -- more than most cars in this class except the Acura TL. Segue into my next suggestion: the Acura TL -- much fo what I said about the I30 applies here as well, and the TL gets a 5sp transmission and a bump up to 230bhp for MY2K.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing...
Old 09-03-1999, 10:03 AM
JLT

Default Some of my other considerations

As I mentioned in my post, the S4 was one among others in the 'above' A4 price range. I've looked at a ton of others and there is a whole lot of competition at this price range.

I'm actually from the UK, originally and was very into Rally and F1, and I think this does color my perception here. I think Quattro's have always been very attractive to me.

I like the styling of the A4/S4 very much, it really does look a classic, and I doubt if the look will age as much as some of the other cars out there. My wife saw the TT and hated it, but thinks the A4 looks a nice car.

I get your point about luxury. What would you say was missing from the S4, in price comparable cars that would be that desirable, and make us choose that other car over this.

I can't help thinking though that to me, the feel of the S4 drive has got to have the Acura beat, from the reviews i've read, and simple extrapolation.

Although we haven't seen too much of the white stuff in NY for a few years, that can't last for long. Obviously its not a primary reason... but 4WD is kinda nice if it does snow.

Lastly, although it will be my wifes car, I wouldn't be adverse to taking it through twisties upstate somewhere.

JLT
Old 09-03-1999, 10:15 AM
JLT

Some of my other considerations- For Acura, read Infiniti
Old 09-03-1999, 11:44 AM
Jee

Default One thing to consider...(long)

it's your wife that's gonna be driving the car, no? If so, compare the car she has now to what she is gonna get. is her present car too slow for her? How does it compare to the power of an A4 or S4? Does she want more rear legroom for the kids? Then, she has to decide what's more important: back seat room or power?
I've fit two adults with adequate comfort in the back of the A4. Can't say they would do it for ten straight hours but with rest stops, I don't think I'd get any complaints. In other words, for your wife, the back seats don't seem to be so much an issue since it only gets used twice a week.

Queens to Manhattan isn't a pleasant ride. Anything that has to do with NYC driving isn't pleasant. I've lived in Manhattan and hated having my car there. Moved out to the burbs and got my suspension lowered and put on 17s with some real sticky rubber. What does she expect to accomplish with an S4 as a commuting car into the City? I've already bent two of my 17" rims with NY'Cs crappy roads. Now, whenever I drive into NYC, I don't do any "spirited city driving." I go slower and slower making sure I don't kill my car. Trust me, the S4 isn't going to be so comfortable hitting 3" high AND low potholes. You just simply can't do any spirited city driving in the City. I think what you're referring to is to have the ability to get those pesky taxi drivers away from your car by having enough juice. If that's the case, don't worry about the 2.8, it's plenty enough to leave them behind.
All in all, if I had to go to work in NYC, the only way I'd get the S4 is if I had a second car to drive into NYC. The S4 would be used occasionally to go into the City. The A4 with the stock suspension and wheels is a most capable city car except you'd have to worry about jerks smashing into your car to try to fit into a parking space not even big enough for a Yugo.
Lastly, it's your money (or company money). Do what you and your wife think is best.
Old 09-03-1999, 01:41 PM
JLT

Default Re: One thing to consider...(long)

Any comparison between her current car (actually her mothers... kind of a permanent loan) and any new car would be laughable; her mothers car is a 7 year old 4-cyl Nissan Sentra, with poor struts a dodgy starter and no air conditioning.

ANY new car she steps into will be like stepping into a Rolls Royce and Ferrari all rolled into one. Having said that, her previous company cars were a Ford Taurus and a 4-cyl Toyota Camry. Right now she takes a ride in with a co-worker, in a Honda Civic. She basically thought that the Camry had acceptable performance.

Six years ago, in the Taurus, when she was travelling out to a job in Westchester, in very light drizzle, was cruising to the right of a car, and the lane to the right of her had been coned off, and immediately to the right of that, there was a ditch with workmen in it. Up ahead, for some reason there was a queue forming in the left lane, and the right lane was far clearer.
I'm not entirely sure why the car to her left didn't notice in time to take reasonable preventive methods. Perhaps a blind incline or something, but basically he noticed the traffic in front of him too late, and put on the brakes while steering towards my wife gently.

She sensed something seriously bad about to happen and somehow whipped in between the cones and rode on the very edge of this ditch. The construction men were running for cover, and as she did, the car who was braking had gone into a slide, got hit, and others were piling into it.

This coupled with an experience I had in the UK, has made me very thoughtful that any car that we have should have very good handling in sub-par driving conditions.

Some of my thoughts of power being useful in and around cities are from my friends in the UK getting 'hot-hatches' like VR6's and the like and rocketing around London.

The actual commute she takes now into the city is relatively good... she travels into West 57th Street. Parking would be in a garage with decent attendants, so jerks in Yugos aren't really an issue.

While there are the fairly infrequent weekend use, in our thoughts are taking the car out of state for long weekends and holidays. I'll agree that the A4 would likely be just as excellent a candidate as the S4 here. The additional 'fun-factor' might be nice, but certainly not essential.

However every other point you made is well taken. Every review i've read basically says that the A4 2.8Q is a fine car, with the exception of the cramped back seating, and a lack of low end torque.

If you're saying that the 2.8 is fine, even with Tiptronic and Quattro, then that means that the A4 scores higher points than it previously did for me.

I wonder if these reviewers are thinking real-world if you guys are having such different experiences.

The other thing to consider in all of this is status; along with this car there is a promotion to department head, which will mean more client contact. Implicit with this is a need to impress with the car. Would the S4 look more impressive to clients? I'm not sure. Would driving a BMW or Benz or Lexus? Not sure either.

Will the fact that they know that this is a $40k car vs. a $35k car be more impressive? Perhaps.

I suppose that the S4 could become a known and respected car... more so because of its understated looks hiding power. I'd guess it will.

So, I'd like to thank you. You've made me reconsider my opinion of the A4. I'll bear all of this in mind when we go to the show room for test driving.

JLT
Old 09-03-1999, 08:22 PM
jee

Default One last bit of advice...(long)

When you go out and take that test drive, try to not have the salesperson come with you unless you are well acqainted. That way, you can drive the A4 like the way you think you'd or your wife would drive it - just try not to do this to a brand new A4 on the lot.
Also, the clientel/status issue is debatable. I've had people who own cars three to four times more expensive than the A4 ask what kind of car it was. Also had your everyday average person thinking Audi was made by the Swedes. Then, I've had grandmothers ask me how I like my "A4". Granted, in our area, BMWs, Lexus', and MBZs seem to be noticed or recognized more but they are a dime a dozen as well and their image... I just don't like it. Now, I've had clients come from the heartbeat of America, who've never much seen an A4 or been in one, get into my car and go crazy about how awesome it is. My thing is to just zing them around and show them how sweet the car is. Then show them cool stuff like the pinch-protect windows (ouch!) and other cool little gadgets. If you really want to impress clients, instead of spending the money for an S4, try to get an A6 or 528i. They seat people very comfortably and both are tasteful. In both cases, though, you're gonna lose that toss-me-around-do-what-you-want feeling found in the A4.
As for the S4, I really don't think many people will actually know what it is other than an A4. If they don't know, they'll obviously look at the S4 badge and then what? So much for paying that extra $5K. S4 is like you said, understated, but that's b/c it's not for others to go gaga over. It's a driver's car - your own four door, personal mad-mobile/luxury cruiser.
Both A4 and S4 - awesome cars. One just on steroids. Your call. Good luck and check out pinch protection. It'll keep you from dozing off behind the wheel!
Old 09-03-1999, 08:33 PM
Morgan Conrad

Default If space is a concern...

If your teenagers come with toys, such as camping gear, football equipment, etc. an S4 might be a bit small. Check it out.
If it's too small, consider an A4 Avant or an A6 2.7. I've heard that the A6 2.7 is only a bit pricier than the S4. Same engine, more space, less handling.
Old 09-03-1999, 10:24 PM
Scott G

Default Re: If your wife isn't into the performance thing, the S4 will be a waste of time and money.

nt